17.7.07

Baby Kimono

Pattern: Clementine's Baby Kimono. If you go here, you'll find the downloadable pattern in pdf, and don't forget to say Hi.

Recipient:
Baby C.


Yarn: Grignasco Bambi. Colour 184.
Can't rave enough about this yarn; soft, sproingy and spun not too tight, not too loose, it's juuuuust right to quote a certain yellow-haired porridge-stealer, and
Easy Wash - surely necessary for baby garments.
Two 50g balls was more than enough for this cardigan as well as 2 matching pairs of booties. The first were ridiculously huge, I have a knack for ginormous footwear (maybe because I have big feet), with a walnut-sized ball left over.

Needles: Knitpicks 3.25MM circs. Gotta say, a marriage of needle + yarn. Smooth 'n' fast

Mods: Di helpfully provi
des guidance for most mods you might desire. In my case I went for a buttonhole / single button on the outside with an I-cord tie on the inside, which seemed more ... boy somehow.

Strange and subtley nuanced is this heteronormative gender fascism (thanks Ashley).

Just as an aside, I get ti
red of people referring to Scout as "He" sometimes to the point where I think of getting her a pink sequinned fluffy collar which screams "I'm a girl dog"! So I can truly empathise with parents wanting to slap a big pink bow or a big blue Tonka Truck on their babies to codify. Then again there are parents who seem genuinely deeply disturbed by anything vaguely gender bending.


More on the topic here.

Thanks everyone for your input on the button issue. Most of you plumped for the small tube, some for the ladybeetle. Some even raised salient issues of ladybeetles' flatness being more conducive to baby sleeping comfort., something I wouldn't have thought of. You can see cast on cast off's Kimono here.

Booties: Sole-up. 42 st, knit in the round, K2tog decreases for instep, stockinette topped of with a 'devil may care' roll down top. Easy peasy. I highly doubt there's anything more satisfying or entertaining than knitting booties.

















13 Comments:

Blogger Rose Red said...

That Bambi is great yarn. This is a lovely gift - Baby C is very lucky.

17 July 2007 at 4:18 pm  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

your version of the cardi looks divine - I especially admire the fine little i-cord tie inside.

As far as mistaking Scout for a boy, why it's quite absurd! She is most obviously a rockin' chick. For repeat offenders, you might try saying quite plainly:

"She has a vagina"

they probably won't forget again...

:)

17 July 2007 at 7:31 pm  
Blogger Pikku- Kettu said...

Pretty baby stuff! I love how the kimono turned out.

I now realize that there were benefits for naming my dog Mister...

17 July 2007 at 8:36 pm  
Blogger MWM said...

Just gorgeous -I love the color of this yarn.
Maybe you should have alison make scout a skirt -that might do the trick. Although it didn't seem to work for Pia....

17 July 2007 at 8:49 pm  
Blogger shula said...

Memo to me:

Have another baby, so Carson might knit you something.

And I'm a size 42. What are you?

17 July 2007 at 9:30 pm  
Blogger Jesse said...

Very nice! Sigh... more things to add to my list of things I really want to knit.

18 July 2007 at 2:40 am  
Blogger Mari said...

Such cute baby gifts! There's something so irresistible in baby booties! Got-to-knit-some-booties-for-babies.

18 July 2007 at 7:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I reckon a nice little pink bow in Scout's hair...

Great kimono too :)

18 July 2007 at 12:24 pm  
Blogger Madge said...

Baby C. is going to be well swaddled in her new outfit. Sweater and booties are adorable, Carson!

18 July 2007 at 2:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

baby c will NEED these clothes NOW in melbourne... brrrrr. you've done a lovely job - love that coloured yarn.
and like i told alison, my mum used to sticky tape bows in my hair as a baby... hmmm. probably best not to go there with scout either.

18 July 2007 at 10:04 pm  
Blogger Di said...

Lovely work :)))

22 July 2007 at 5:46 pm  
Blogger amisha said...

i love this set. lovely color, and the button looks perfect.

1 August 2007 at 2:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carson, that's a beautiful set, and I'm loving the color. I'm a bit pasteled out, for babies. It's funny how certain dogs are assumed to be male, as if no one would have a female of that particular breed. That said, Della does have a pink collar. In fact she has a few collars, leashes, and a winter wardrobe, but it's not gender codification––she fancies herself a fashionable girl.

3 August 2007 at 11:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home