7.4.08

Adventures in sinewy drape


I seem to have momentarily given up on garments and instead gone down a rabbit hole of textile creation. I'm enjoying the process of swatching; really, really long swatching.
And engaging in a repetitive, satisfying process of pouring out lengths of just p
ure texture, off the bottom of the needles, then over the knees and eventually onto the floor. 'Course the beauty of this is that you can always wear it as a scarf, as either serious wind chill prevention or just ornamentation, so does that count as a garment?

This week, gentle patient readers, promises to be a Festival of the FOs here at Needle's Edge.


And I've enlisted the help of a recent addition to our household: Audrey the Impossibly Tiny-Waisted 1960s Mannequin.
Named after Goat's impeccable Auntie Audrey, the fountain of all wisdom pertaining to grooming, deportment, correct undergarments, impossibly tiny waists, hairdos and all things utterly Audreyish. (sadly, needle's edge would get an F for Fail in all subjects). No matter, on with the neck-coverings!
First, I am the proud nine and a half thousandth person to do a


Pattern
:Clapotis
by Kate Gilbert.
Yarn: Trekking XXL Degrade 76.
(which is going on my shortlist of
Desert Island Yarns I love it so much).



I can't help but wonder if Kate Gilbert now wishes she'd charged for this pattern. She'd be able to afford a nice little kitchen and bathroom reno on her quatrième arrondissement apartment* by now surely just from Clap downloads alone!
At least she's charging for her other creations.


What can I say? I'm hooked and plan on making another. Let's face it nine thousand, four hundred and ninety nine Clap fans can't be wrong.

Because it's Monday and I've been such an absentee blogger of late, I thought I'd also bring you some mosaic gorgeousity


by this bunch of fab flickr people:

1. warmth, 2. sketch: teeth, 3. Final curtain, 4. today, 5. Untitled, 6. Untitled, 7. beach fence, 8. marks a lot drawing, 9. House of lost souls, 10. "I am what I am because I am my mystery", 11. out like a lion, 12. rua da boavista, 13. rooflight, 14. Crackle, 15. Untitled, 16. Wellington sky, 17. African dwellings turned dress, 18. When the night falls, 19. politics, 20. Typography: Principles of Business Data Processing, SRA, 1970, 21. Suðurey (Southisle), 22. The crane, again, 23. emptiness, 24. Untitled, 25. lines, 26. wednesday {41} white, 27. through the window, 28. leaves and wood, 29. lines, 30. there's a fox on my back - 022308, 31. Untitled, 32. take the "A" train, 33. pola.a.day: mar15a, 34. leftover the bunny is sad, 35. pallets, 36. my working desk




*no, I do not know where Ms Gilbert actually lives, please don't ask








12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate now lives in Canada but would probably still appreciate your financial input into her life.

Is Audrey available for lessons?

7 April 2008 at 5:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I forgot to say, lovely lovely version of Clap. Looks great in the deep dark colours.

7 April 2008 at 5:59 pm  
Blogger Elena said...

Oooh, such a lovely delicate Clapotis.

This popular pattern may have made Kate famous but yeah, isn't this the most popular pattern out there.

7 April 2008 at 6:07 pm  
Blogger Michele said...

you might be one of the thousands to make it - but yours is lovely - think your yarn choice for it was brilliant. and yes, Ms. Gilbert lives in Canada - actually her blog follows yours on my blog roll. she is lovely and friendly and we should all be helping her reno her house or buy a flat in Paris. btw: love all the drawings and line stuff in your mm. and textile creation sounds way more appealing than garments right now.

8 April 2008 at 7:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely Clapotis! It inspires me to be number 9,501!

8 April 2008 at 8:10 am  
Blogger M-H said...

Lovely clapotis. I'm thinking of a second one too. I saw one at Sydney airport when I was waiting for NZ friend to arrive. I had to be physically restrained from walking up to the woman and admiring it. I'm sure she would have been pleased and flattered, don't you think? And you're right about KG - it's a great pattern. It's just complex enough not to be easy to reverse engineer, and simple enough to produce an elegant result.

8 April 2008 at 2:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you; you've caught textile fever. I LOVE to swatch, so it's all about stoles right now. Once I'm on a stitch pattern, forget it. Triangular shawls are a bit old lady for me, but stoles? Ah, the drama of flinging them over your shoulder!

You know, I haven't knitted the Clapotis? Too many other projects.

Sorry, I haven't spoken to you in a minute. When I visited last, and saw the goodies…instead of commenting, I ran out to the bakery near work, and was sorely disappointed. Mr. K will be visiting in Croydon (his brother's 50th b-day)for only 6 days (!). Otherwise, I find out where Caketown is and send him there.

I'll wait patiently for the knit fashion show––uh oh, the nosy's are walking by my desk! Gotta go!

9 April 2008 at 2:45 am  
Blogger Madge said...

Luscious # 9,500.

Happy swatching.

x.

9 April 2008 at 6:42 am  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

great clap - snaps to you!

and Aunt Audrey sounds fabulous.

10 April 2008 at 9:40 pm  
Blogger sooz said...

I wasn't a knitter when the clap hit town, but this is sorely tempting. If it weren't for that Pear tree waiting ot be a Hanami, I'd be flattering you with imitation because yours is really really lovely.

13 April 2008 at 7:02 pm  
Blogger Ashes and Milk said...

Smile. Hm I recognize flickr photo 28.

8 May 2008 at 3:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting my drawing (there's a fox on my back) in your flickr collage, you made my day!

27 May 2008 at 11:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home