10.2.08

Read a book, do something different ! !

is what a vehemently, bitterly angry and thoroughly pee-ed off young lady just yelled as she walked past our house just now. Not to me (I think anyway).

Whoever you are, thank you for the title -and indeed it's not bad advice in general- although by the sounds of it I hope I never get on your bad side or run into you on the street late at night.

Speaking of which I just cannot wait to move out this suburb (I'm getting too old for this particular brand of urban edginess) and finally the Great Australian Dream aka home ownership looks imminent

It's simultaneously very exciting and profoundly stressful.

And like bugheart, what do I do when I'm stressed out?


Knit, of course.

It really calms me down.

You know you're really just a knitter when you're traipsing through a house for sale that's been professionally styled right down to the tshatshkes and baskets artfully tossed in the corners to give it that homey feel, and all you hone in on is one particular basket in one room. The one that is just the right dimensions and proportions, sturdy yet yielding, leather with a nice buckle on top. Just right in fact for a chair-side knitting basket. And you're tempted to tell the agent "I'm really not interested in buying the house, but how much is that basket"?

By the way, I am knitting a clap-oh-tee, and I know I'm only the 6000th person in the world to do so. I won't bore you with double entendres about 'the clap'. But one thing's for sure it's absolutely curing my knitting ennui that had set in after months of knitting with cotton, which was starting to feel like a chore rather than a pleasure. Time for some soft and sproingy, some gently unfolding colour and some slightly chunkier needles.

Pure loveliness.



9 Comments:

Blogger bugheart said...

heh, "the clap"-
had to laugh!
yes,
i would
also
have asked
about the
basket!
good luck
with
the
house shopping!

xo

11 February 2008 at 3:14 am  
Blogger Di said...

Ahhh- yes my parents are house hunting at the moment. My mother has chewed off her fingernails as a result.
Love the look of your clap, if I my be so bold as to say.

11 February 2008 at 8:41 am  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Househunting - both exciting and excruciating at the same time (does anyone really have that many pillows and cushions on their bed?)

I loved knitting my clap. I found it a fabulous relaxing/good for a change project.

11 February 2008 at 9:08 am  
Blogger Ashley said...

It made my entire day that the disaffected urban youth of Australia is advocating literacy instead of, like, smoking crack and shooting each other.

11 February 2008 at 10:37 am  
Blogger Madge said...

Gah. House hunting. Not for the faint of heart. But exciting! Good luck finding the home of your dreams.

Have fun dropping those Clap stitches, too.

11 February 2008 at 12:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahem. the clap?? do you have a link (i am such a knitting nuff nuff). love the colour, by the way.

11 February 2008 at 4:17 pm  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

good luck with the house-hunt - try not to stab any agents with dpn's, despite the temptation!

and i'm so glad you've got the clap (on the needles!)

great colour you've chosen, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished...

11 February 2008 at 9:01 pm  
Blogger Michele said...

what i a bizzare thing to yell at someone - read a book. although i can think of a few people i may have liked to have yelled that at.

happy house hunting! and the Trek looks just as great over here. you must be working some magic because i swear it does not look that good in the store. opps.

14 February 2008 at 8:59 am  
Blogger Michele said...

forgot to say - funny about knitting with cotton, it's so great to wear - especially in your climate but yes knitting with it ... insert favorite bad words. if you're ever thinking of some Habu though i have to say their cotton gima is worth a go. it's not quite as thin as some of their other thread yarns and it softens up nice and knitting with it isn't the same fight as knitting with other cotton.

14 February 2008 at 9:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home