11.1.08

Whispers

I was awake at 6.30 am and taking advantage of the relative coolness of the air at that hour by pootling about the place getting all. most of. some of the more crucial of my housework done before the entire house was transformed into a terrarium (man, I can not get out of this house soon enough I tell you). And I found myself sweeping the floor, with -what Goat refers to as the jukebox of my mind- playing a little soundtrack. This in itself is no surprise readers, but what really alarmed me was that the track playing was George Michael's Careless Whispers*

Now, when the hell did I become a middle-aged housewife? Just when exactly did that happen? I ask you. I tried to reassure myself with "Oh, it's not that bad is it"? To which I answered myself with "Are you crazy? Of course it's that bad"!

Careless.
Whispers, people!

And as if that wasn't bad enough in itself, but how on e
arth do I actually know enough of Careless Whispers to have it playing in my head in the first place?! It boggles and disturbs the mind.

So I'm trying to work, as much as one can in a sweatlodge, doing a lot of gazing at my office wall, and I
am knitting, really I am! Look at me knit!



I have nothing against George Michael per se, indeed he seems like a perfectly lovely, intelligent and charming man (as much as I can glean as a chat show guest anyway and leaving aside all public toilet innuendo for now), but let it be said I am no fan of his vocal histrionics and leave it at that eh?
* The video is hilarious and for the intrepid few who can actually make it through to the end without laughing hysterically or breaking out in a saxophone allergy rash, there is some choice 80s sleeve action on the Lady Di lookalike.






14 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

awwwhhh come on! how can you not like George Michael's songs?

opps - guess dating myself.

honestly i had no idea people didn't just love GM until on a raod trip with some girlfriends i had him on and someone admitted he was a guilty fav too. guilty?

i'm just loving that habu knit you have going! it's so textural.

11 January 2008 at 1:53 pm  
Blogger Ashley said...

Though it's easy to pretend, I know you're not a fool.

I owe you a long and detailed thank you note, btw. Ive got a little idea for a project for that fabric--when it's done (and when I've framed my lovey print) I'll make it a big bloggy mash note.

xoxoxo and pet my girls for me...

11 January 2008 at 4:24 pm  
Blogger Pikku- Kettu said...

"The jukebox of the mind" (what a great description) can sometimes throw you some odd balls. Here's to hoping the next one's more to your liking. :)

11 January 2008 at 4:37 pm  
Blogger Madge said...

Wha'?! I'm laughing all the way to iTunes, where I have to hear "Careless Whispers"...all I know of GM is "I Want Your Sex."

You are so not a middle-aged housefrau.

Stay cool, cat.

11 January 2008 at 5:47 pm  
Blogger shula said...

Just checked the jukebox of my mind,

and it's playing Delta Goodrem's Believe Again.

Which is approaching a certifiable offence, I suspect.

12 January 2008 at 3:13 am  
Blogger Julie said...

When you figure out how you became a middle-aged house wife, could you continue the research and figure out how I became one too?

Oh, and if I hum Careless Whispers all day, I'm going to come find you and make you knit acrylic yarn.

12 January 2008 at 4:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi carson,

tee hee - your song selection takes me back to the halcyon days of my youth, when i was 17 and had a boyfriend who was two timing me - just like in the careless zipper video (i'll never wear pants again...)!

thanks for the memories and i can't wait to see what your current knitting project evolves into! :)

12 January 2008 at 2:28 pm  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

If it makes you feel any better, Paul Dempsey & Kate Miller-heidke did a rendition on Rockwiz that wasn't half bad - you could kid yourself that you're tapping into the ironic/cool version as a direct rejection of the sacchrine of GM? Just a thought...




(who are we kidding, shite is shite! Go get yourself something LOUD to blast it off the juke-box!!!!)


should've known better to waste a chance that i'd been given, da-da-da,d-da.... da-da-da, d-da...

12 January 2008 at 5:49 pm  
Blogger Mari said...

oh the 80's - such good times! sigh.
;-D

12 January 2008 at 9:49 pm  
Blogger Suse said...

Now I need to sing The Day we Went to Bango, to get rid of George Michael.

14 January 2008 at 11:12 am  
Blogger Rose Red said...

the best laugh I've had today, thinking of you doing the housework to careless whisper - time will never mend/the guilty feelings have got no end...or something. Not that I would know of course!

14 January 2008 at 4:54 pm  
Blogger MWM said...

thanks for the memories, I think.
Laughed out loud at this one.

19 January 2008 at 1:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was his solo break-out hit so of course its a classic. Not in a good way mind you. When I read your recollections of the video I laughed out loud. My younger sister didn't understand the lyrics, she thought the line, "guilty feet have got no rhythm" was something else entirely. For the life of me I can't remember what though!

30 January 2008 at 10:59 am  
Blogger tiel said...

now I have it in my head!!! i must change it...

agghhh, wake me up before you go go..

1 February 2008 at 8:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home