26.11.07

Post Election


... puns fail me.

You're probably breathing a collective sigh of relief at that.

For my non-Aus readers, there was a Federal Election here on the weekend, and after eleven (was it only eleven? It feels more like eleven
million) years of Conservative government, we have a change of leadership (to slightly less Conservative).

I feels somewhat of a hollow victory, as I was really looking forward to seeing Howard cry in some candid capture of an unguarded moment on National Television.

Just the smallest quiver of that protuberant bottom lip, just a
hint of mucous running down from that smug nose -with Janette leaning over with a maternal Kleenex- would've sent me into a giddy celebratory dance through the house let me tell you.
Mere schadenfreude you might say. And you'd be right, but remember Nietzsche said something like

Never trust those of whom you must stifle the urge to punish.

Or something like that.

Last election, I woke the day after, capsizing somewhere between "Wanting to cut my own throat"Land and "Planning immediate emigration to New Zealand or Canada as a political refugee" Island.
But
this time,I woke feeling relieved and that perhaps everything wasn't quite so intractably grim.
So that's good.

Goat, the girls and I celebrated the Downfall with a sit in the park eating Golden Gaytimes* (which would've been more appropriate if the Greens had got a seat in the Senate).

And now...the part you've all been waiting for...is the Post Downfall Celebratory Knitting!

I only managed to sit through about an hour of the blow-by-blow accounts of the vote itself, but I
did manage to power through almost the entire back of Mimosa!
Hard Core enthusiasts can see action shots here, but I warn you it's so exciting that you may need a couple of Qualudes to calm you down when you get back, and a sit down in the Ambient Knit Room**

Now this is seriously celebratory, in colour at least:

Rike Feurstein's long scarf.
From Australian Vogue October '07.




*An icecream with a certain retro appeal, yet yummy!
** I'm wondering what the Ambient Knit Room would look like? Lots of crochet in pastel angora, maybe?






6 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

I felt the same way when I woke up on Sunday! Imminent plans to move to Singapore stalled... for now :)

26 November 2007 at 9:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what to laugh loudest at.....but it's 11.34pm and I am going to go to bed with a snot nosed John in my head (oh thanks). Perhaps Janette will bribe him to stop crying with a banana paddle pop?

Ambient Knit Room - sounds like you need an architect.

26 November 2007 at 11:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

classic post! hysterical. and how am i meant to focus on sketch design revision #17 with those john howard thoughts??? and thank you for mentioning only slightly less conservative - i always struggle with voting 'cos there really is little choice... too much same same.

27 November 2007 at 9:53 am  
Blogger Julie said...

Oh man... you think YOUR last election was bad, imagine how we Americans feel! To quote my English professor (at the time) a month after Bush was re-elected, "I've got to get over this last election... besides, I'm running out of black clothes to wear."

I plan to drink a bottle of champagne when he's finally out of office, even if the idiot religious right elects Donald Duck in his place.

Ahem.

I feel your pain, and hope to feel your elation. Soon. Can you tell?

28 November 2007 at 5:37 am  
Blogger Madge said...

Glad to hear tides can turn, and that you take your celebration where you may.

Gives me hope...I've been trying to figure out how to weasel my way across the Canadian border for years now.

Wow, that's a long scarf.

28 November 2007 at 12:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nuk-nuk-nuk - I was full to the brim with schadenfreud. I was so sure he was going to lose it during the speech.

Anyway... long live King Kevin the Bland and his lego hair


I have tagged you for a meme:
http://machenmachen.wordpress.com/2007/11/28/lucky-sevens/

(apologies if you hate them - I just picked a few random people who had commented at my blog lately)

28 November 2007 at 6:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home