4.10.07

G


is for Gadget,
Gizmo,
Gocco

A borrowed one.
Which is calling out to me (in an accent just like Sen from Spirited Away)
But which is also safely stashed out of my sight until I get my wee deadline out of the way tomorrow.
But come the weekend, I suspect I will be printing like there's no tomorrow.

But right now it's time for...
( to the tune of Heart from Damn Yankees, in a cha cha tempo preferably. I wish someone would come up with a little widget so you could put a 'sing-a-long' bouncing ball across the blog page)
In honour of the increasing temperatures in this hemisphere and the dropping ones in the other but with the sweet anticipation of toasty knitted goodness...

You gotta have warmth!
[cha cha cha, cha cha cha]

Miles and miles and miles of warmth!

[etc...] *

Or 217.41 yards of it to be precise.

Cake of Qiviuk all the way from Banff, via the Wild Canadian Arctic Muskox no less, and of course the Inuvialuit People who harvest the fibre. Thanks Goat!
The women who sold it said

"
You're going to make someone verrry happy", and guess what, she was right.

Move over Cashmere, you are
so last year!

This stuff is unbelievably soft; quite hairy with a delicate halo and reputedly thermal-warm (it does have to keep the oxen alive in the Tundra). I think it will have to live in its own little bag until just the right project comes along. I've noticed on ravelry there's a whole book devoted to Arctic Lace , and it seems to make intuitive sense to marry the two, but then I could just be going through a Purist phase.

And while I'm still banging on about warmth (I was thinking tonally warm, but I guess it's also materially warm), I'm fascinated by this from Prada.

The fabric of the coat seems to ombre down from a black/dark chocolate brown wool into a soft umber silk (I'm guessing at the fibres here) actually in the weave, and I just can't stop thinking about how it's done. I really want to learn weaving so I can explore the world of the weft and the warp.




* it's even better with props. I use Peter Allen's old maracas, which I won on ebay.**



**I wonder how many people will believe that's true?




6 Comments:

Blogger shula said...

How can you talk that way about cashmere?

And here was I planning to send you 20 cones for Xmas.

So not going to happen, now.

4 October 2007 at 7:06 pm  
Blogger MWM said...

1. where did you get that g? it's phenomenal. Is it hand drawn?

2. I've been loving the new prada texture/textiles too. LOVE. I know she is high fashion and big time, but I still think she is a genius. seriously.

3. You are really funny:)

4 October 2007 at 11:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't believe G was able to track some of this down for you. amazing.

i can't remember what it's called when the fabric changes colors as it goes - gradations maybe - anyway apparently it's going to be big for our spring too (like in 6 months time, that must be your fall right).

please no bouncing balls. okay, it's your blog, i'll still read it bb's or not. but i'm voting for no bouncing balls.

5 October 2007 at 1:43 pm  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

it's own bag - surely you mean it's own archivally sound display cabinet, no?

what a gift - luck girl!

5 October 2007 at 7:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prada sigh. We do love our Prada.
And I'd believe anything you say.

Did you gocco (now there's something for the maracas)

7 October 2007 at 4:07 pm  
Blogger Madge said...

Ah, the qiviuk cha cha. It's an oldie but goodie. Break out the martinis and Peggy Lee.

G rocks.

12 October 2007 at 7:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home