8.10.07

FO: Clessidra


I was so excited to finish these I haven't even bothered to weave in the ends.
I'll have to take some better photos of these during the week.

Pattern: by
for Knitty, Spring 2007.

Yarn
: Rubi + Lana 3ply Merino in Charcoal. 160 grams (just over one and a half large balls)




Notes:
There have been screeds ruminating through my mind as I made them, but not having taken scientific notes (that would mean putting down the needles to write), I find now that my mind is strangely blank. I will say that I did find the pattern difficult to follow in some parts, but I will hastily qualify
that with the observation that I just think my mind works quite differently to the author's. For the second one I pretty much ignored the pattern and just copied the first sock. Aside from my equivocal relationship to the cabling (let's just say getting to the stockinette part feels like being released from a medium security detention centre), it flew off the needles, relatively speaking.

When I took them off, my feet looked like this

cless scarification

And I decided to photograph them.

I thought "Bloody hell, am I really going to post these shots, or is this simply for my own idle amusement"?
However, I was inspired by Ashley's bravery in a recent 365 days series and even hannabirke's recent refreshly honest self portraits to take a deep breath and include it.

My feet are my unloveliest part.
Good ol' German Peasant root-stock; good for keeping yourself sturdily upright while you milk the cows I guess. (Maybe that's why I've always loved Botticelli's renderings of the human foot.They make the roundly, palely bulbous seem so aesthetically pleasing).


And before my sisters howl me down that I have betrayed the Feminist Ethos by admitting this, I base this purely on objective aesthetic grounds. I'm sure even our Germaine probably secretly loathes her left elbow or somesuch.

And so I do find it strange that I should invest so much time and effort into an adornment for my feet, knowing what an ambivalent relationship I have to them, or even that I want to knit socks at all considering they are summarily stuffed into shoes and hidden away from view.
All that angst over toe shaping!

It is curious.


13 Comments:

Blogger :: melissa :: said...

Hooray for your feet! I love these socks . . . the colour is wonderful!
Melissa x

8 October 2007 at 5:13 pm  
Blogger shula said...

Well I'm sure Dr. Freud would have something to say about it.

But which of you would be wearing the better socks?

8 October 2007 at 8:23 pm  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Great job on the socks. I always love getting to the foot part on patterned socks - joy for half stocking stitch patterns!

8 October 2007 at 8:50 pm  
Blogger Ashley said...

Oh yay socks, yay socks! You are a champ for finishing them. And bravery notwithstanding, I can guarantee you that not once in 365 days will you see a picture of my feet. Even I am not that brave.

8 October 2007 at 10:46 pm  
Blogger Eero said...

Congratulations on the finish! Truly, a labor of love.


Who does have nice feet? Not me, certainly!

9 October 2007 at 1:46 am  
Blogger AmberCake said...

You did it! The socks! They are incredible!

Also, your feet are so totally normal and fine, it's almost silly. But I love that you posted the shot of feet patterned with knit impression.

Which is also to say, your feet are impressed that you made them such nice socks, and that you agonized over the toe shaping.

9 October 2007 at 7:39 am  
Blogger Michele said...

oh i'm sure Germaine had parts of herself she was at war with. we all have this.

the self portraits have been interesting for me in that they have put a giant magnifying glass to the parts of me i'm not at peace with. but they've also shown me parts of myself that i do like. it's instructive.

so cheers for you for the foot photo. i think it's all part of self acceptance and also not handling ourselves like we are fragile glass.

the socks are beautiful. and i love the shoes too. and thanks for the mention.

9 October 2007 at 11:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

regardless of foot fetishes or foot phobias, those socks are fabulous! love 'em.

9 October 2007 at 12:12 pm  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

they are the niftiest (it is so a words!) socks!

I particularly like the shot of the markings left behind after wear - remind me of beautiful henna patterns.

And I don't know anyone who likes their feet - they're so pedestrian, don't you think?


ba-da-boom - yeah!

9 October 2007 at 2:21 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Yes - curious... but strangely satisfying! Good old Germaine.

9 October 2007 at 11:15 pm  
Blogger Jesse said...

Lovely socks! They really look like they were tough to do, and turned out beautifully.

10 October 2007 at 2:56 am  
Blogger amisha said...

they are truly lovely, and i admire your bravery in posting your foot photo. my strange fixation is knees, which i really don't like (on me, not other people). though i have never knit an adornment for them... kneewarmers perhaps?

11 October 2007 at 6:00 am  
Blogger Madge said...

They're done. They're gorgeous. They're worthy of your sturdy (in the best way) feet. Congrats on finishing your Clessidras!

I think all feet are funny. I mean, toes? How weird are they? Not as weird as men's naughty bits, but close. Yeah, Freud would have a field day....

12 October 2007 at 7:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home