30.5.07

Saint Vessel: a dip into the surreal.

Bugheart made an allusion to Saint Lucia (or Saint Lucy) the other day.
Intrigued, it got me researching.

I found a 1521 painting of her by Domenico Beccafumi.
It's in a very mannerist style, the proportions are quite distorted but what really fascinates me about this particular depiction is a surrealistic detail:

The allergorical meaning of which I still haven't got to the bottom of. But it does make for an unusual episode of vessel wednesday.


7 Comments:

Blogger M-H said...

Not so surreal - legend has it that she died after torture that included having her eyes gouged out. Apparently this is the traditional depiction of her.

30 May 2007 at 7:00 pm  
Blogger Charlotte said...

it's telling me sacred / chalice / soul.

30 May 2007 at 7:18 pm  
Blogger shula said...

Nice one, Carson.

Slick.

31 May 2007 at 12:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now you've got me wondering what those eyes mean.

great approach to vessel wednesday.

31 May 2007 at 2:23 am  
Blogger Madge said...

What an interesting spin on Vessel Wednesday! I'm digging it.

Another saint who served parts of herself? St. Agatha.

Zurbaran's painting of her can be found here: http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/z/zurbaran/1/index.html

I love Zurbara's still life paintings. He uses lots of allegorical vessels in his work.

31 May 2007 at 3:06 am  
Blogger bugheart said...

she was always
my favorite saint.
why i am
not sure.
she can be
our patron
saint
of vessels.

31 May 2007 at 7:45 am  
Blogger Christy said...

Oooo, I love the eyes in the vessel, nice.

3 June 2007 at 6:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home