1.5.07

Fits + Starts




clockwise from top right-
one last look before I rip: the mohair/ the Aedificium + bookmark/ stitchy shadow on elevation/
flikr favourite: Residence temple, Mt Koya Japan.


There are projects you work on that are so engaging and exciting that you feel invigorated in all other areas of your life.
Then there are the projects that feel like ten years with hard labour, and the irksomeness likewise bleeds out to other apsects of your life.
I'm working on one of the latter- an opera.
And at night I'm re-reading Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose.
So every night I re-visit the labyrinthine Aedificium and have to keep referring back to the schematic plan at the front of the book trying to get a handle on the layout.
The mohair is following suit.
There's been some false starts: it's been a few inches of a number of things already, with the latest being a cabled sweater loosely based on Heather. It fits well, but I'm not really happy with the vertical proportions, the cables are barely reading at all in the black and so frankly the amount of fiddliness is not really justified. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of subtle, but this is ridiculous.

Plus I'm starting to not like the yarn so much. Last week at Rubi + Lana I had a feel of Rowan Kidsilk Haze, which makes the Jo Sharp feel like an old hessian sack. Even Mist from Naturally -
which I felt (yarn shops are all about the tactile experience aren't they?) at Champion Textiles on the weekend- feels way softer than the JS.
Significantly softer. And less than half the price.
It will be something soon.

Hopefully the opera model will be too.

Thanks again for all the concern for Scout. A little update: it turned out to be a Melanocytoma (potentially malignant cancer). Our vet got it all and the take home message? Don't worry about it.
Which translates for me into I'm going to be paranoid about every tiny lump on Scout for ever more, but seeing as this one started out as looking just like an angry-looking mosquito bite, it's probably a well-founded paranoia.





10 Comments:

Blogger kgirlknits said...

Mohair can be devious, even at the best of times(and such a bugger to rip out) - sounds like you're a bit stressed for it's cunningness right now?

p.s. Thanks for the comments on my latest splurge! The Bendigo wool seems soft enough in the ball - we'll see in the knitting! I am, of course, believing that by knitting the Ram's Horn Jacket, I too will be able to sit on a beach in my skimpy briefs and look all gorgeous and windswept. What? That's called truth in advertising, isn't it?

best wishes to Scout, and try not to be paranoid :)

1 May 2007 at 12:53 pm  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I love The Name of the Rose - although I have to admit I glaze over just a little during the theological argument parts. Shame about the mohair, the Rowan KSH is lovely, as is Madil Kid Seta (which I bought in preference to Jo Sharp mohair when I knit one of her patterns).

1 May 2007 at 1:31 pm  
Blogger shula said...

Good luck with all of it.

1 May 2007 at 2:39 pm  
Blogger Brenda said...

I hope the mohair figures out what it wants to be and then tells you. Lovely photos!

It's been a long time since I've read Name of the Rose. I should re-read it. But first on my re-read list is A Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin. I hope it's as good as I remember!

1 May 2007 at 3:06 pm  
Blogger Suse said...

The Name of the Rose is on my List of Important Literature I Must Read.

One day.

Love all that charcoal wool,and thanks for visiting my blog! Your blog is beautiful.

1 May 2007 at 9:35 pm  
Blogger Madge said...

Sooo glad to hear Scout's okay. I understand your fear, but don't stress, okay? That just does no one any good, pup and humans alike.

Too bad about the JS mohair. I have a bunch of it that I bought on discount a couple of years ago; have yet to do anything with it, though I think it's destined to become an airy throw knit of size bazillion needles. Now, KSH and Madil Seta are yummy. The silk blend is the ticket...and those KSH colors. Oh my.

2 May 2007 at 6:17 am  
Blogger Pikku- Kettu said...

Sometimes ripping and starting again is all you can do. Luckily the knitting gods are always gracious in the end and hand you the perfect project. Just be patient. :)

I'm really glad to hear that Scout is doing fine. Of course the news is worrisome, but trust the doctor and try not to worry too much. I'm sure he/she knows best. It's good to be cautious about these things but it shouldn't totally ruin any day. Now go and play with Scout, the doggie totally deserves some spoiling, don't you think? :)

2 May 2007 at 3:41 pm  
Blogger Flea-Bites said...

I'm glad to hear that Scout is doing well. It always seems to be a shock when our pets get diseases that we associate with humans (or it is to me). Our little foxie had breast cancer - we were shocked. And when our old border collie kept collapsing and scaring everyone, the vet said she needed a pacemaker! But at that stage they didn't make them for dogs. Try not to stress out too much - it changes nothing and stops you from living each moment (I wish I could take my own advice).

Thanks for your comments on my blog - that little possum IS cute with the apple peel in his mouth. The person who is (we hope) going to buy our house is interested in becoming a WIRES carer - I'll leave a note to her to consider starting a blog and posting photos.
Cheers

2 May 2007 at 6:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An old hessian sack? That's a good one. The folks at Downtown Yarns are gonna look at me funny when I feel this yarn, and suddenly burst out laughing in the store.

Wasn't Rubi + Lana fab? I didn't get to Champion Textiles when I was in Newtown, being discouraged by other knitters ("the lighting's no good, and the proprietor's not friendly").

Catching up, you sure have been on the move! I'm happy about Scout's recovery. She's such a sweetie, and you know what "dog" spelled backward is.

The ultra raglan looks fab. Red, is a great color for you.

See ya' later, I'm off to see if Umberto Eco's book is available on audio.

3 May 2007 at 6:42 am  
Blogger AmberCake said...

I may be too late, but I hear it's easier to rip mohair if after you toss it in the freezer for a bit.

Also, it's a great carry-along yarn if you want to do a little charity knitting with other stash yarn. Or non-charity knitting. Puts the whole thing on slightly bigger needles (faster!) and adds a nice accent.

3 May 2007 at 7:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home