7.5.07

Cinematic Knits IV

Cinematic knits continues, somewhat peripatetically.

I watched Whale Rider for about I think the fourth time on the weekend.
And it still stands up.

I still remember being struck, the first time I saw it at the cinema, how spot on Kirsty Cameron's costumes were for this story. Particularly the handknitted jumper Paikea wears for the big penultimate scene where she rides the whale back into the sea.

still from Whale Rider 2002

There was something intuitively so right about that jumper, the way the honest texture of it somehow echoed the barnacles on the whale's back as she hugged the great creature, then when it was completely soaked from the sea, how it stretched and sagged so heavily on her, making her seem so small and vulnerable; a perfect counterpoint to the brave act she was about to perform.
And this was all years ago, way before I caught the knitting bug.
And so it's interesting to re-visit that scene now and still be struck by its perfectness.

Laughed yet today?
If not, take a look at Gottle of Geer Productions latest, coming to a theatre near you!
And last but by no means least check out the latest from these old dudes via Poppalina.
(ok, so I'm a bit obsessed but I'll never forget circa 1977 listening repeatedly -
hypnotised- to Autobahn on my parents' new stereo and watching the dimples on the turntable go round and round, and the lights on the graphic equaliser go up and down).





10 Comments:

Blogger Mette said...

oh my - you´re doing clessidra (ehem) I´m in admiration ;-) Great blog :-)

7 May 2007 at 8:59 pm  
Blogger Loraine said...

i'm sorry...i did the same post twice

7 May 2007 at 10:05 pm  
Blogger Loraine said...

The posts that didn't appear I mean
I'll say it again then : that jumper looks great on her and i'm going to check out Das leben der anderen

7 May 2007 at 11:02 pm  
Blogger shula said...

Beautiful film, that.

Don't the Kiwis seem to understand a Good Jumper?

I instinctively trust any wool that comes out of NZ.

7 May 2007 at 11:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Whale Rider! And yes, the custuming is great; very typical of rural NZ.

8 May 2007 at 12:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so funny how we re-see the knits, when looking at a film, or show again. There was a repeat episode of a Miss Marple mystery on TV. In it, Geraldine McEwan wears a sweater coat that was so fabulous, I had to email the show about getting a picture, so I could figure out the pattern. Of course, their silence said it all (she's crazy).

Thanks for the Kraftwerk link. It brought a giggle. And Presley and Simon are cool. I'ma press the idea for more charity needlework at my friends school. I'm tired of eating heavy baked goods and buying stale candy.

8 May 2007 at 3:58 am  
Blogger Madge said...

Your posts always put a smile on my face. I mean, what's not to love about a Scout in a box (how's the pup doing?) or a knitted version of Kraftwerk?

Now we dance.

8 May 2007 at 6:14 am  
Blogger chocolatetrudi said...

I loved what I managed to see of Whale Rider. I missed it at the cinema, you see. And waited and waited for it to come on the telly.

When it finally did, it was a day or so after those miners got stuck down the mine, and there were so many news flashes to the mine showing excited reporters and nothing happening that I gave up watching the film and recorded it instead.

But there was so many news flashes to the mine that the tape ran out. Just at the point where everyone gave up on hauling the whale into the sea.

One day I'm going to see the ending of that movie. But I'll never watch a film on channel 7 again.

8 May 2007 at 9:43 am  
Blogger Christy said...

Whale Rider seems like a perfect movie for me to watch again this week, thanks for bringing it back into my awareness. I saw it before I started knitting also. I know notice that I am very aware of all knit items in movies or shows that I watch.

8 May 2007 at 12:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and through poppalina I got here.
My youngest daughter has recently discovered Kraftwerk.
It's Showroom Dummies for her.
Have you heard Balenescu Quartet's album Possessed? It's Kraftwerk covers done with strings only. Great stuff.

13 May 2007 at 2:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home