2.5.07

'bout time

So many new vessel-ers sharing their glory on flikr that I've been shamed into pullling my proverbial out.
My excuse so far has been the appaling lack of adequate light in this house we currently call 'home'. And it's true.

But there comes a point where you just have to forget your previously taken-for-granted north-facing floor to ceiling glazing, move on, and make do with what you've got dadgummit.
And so without further ado


Mandala Opera by D3 DESIGN. Part of the mint range.
Recyclable polypropylene.

A gift from the lovely and ever-stylish Sylvia.(blogless! shock!)

The chevron graphics and arc shapes evoke the forms and tile work in Utzon's Opera House (fantastic model and wip shots from the Mitchell Library's collection here), hence the title. It comes flat, with pre-punched holes so you can arrange it in to different formations as the mood takes you. Although after some initial excited experimentation, it's stayed in its' present formation ever since.

MO currently lives at the top of the hallway shelves under a skylight, where it catches my eye almost every time I pass, and cheers me.

It's like a house-plant, it seems to be reaching for the sun under the skylight up there.

Thanks Syl.

A couple of recommendations on the theme of German:

If you haven't already, you should check out Pikku-Kettu's German stockings. The detail is pretty spectacular.
Also definately worth a look is The Lives of Others. Intelligent, precise, modulated, beautiful. Don't be put off by thinking it might be a downer, it's actually more about the possibility of altruism and hope.
Lastly, another lovely friend doing his best Kraftwerk impersonation. It's funnier with a Scots accent trust me!











5 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

Stunning

2 May 2007 at 12:20 pm  
Blogger MWM said...

welcome back to vw. I guess I have been absent the last few weeks as well...
Very interesting vessel -I've never seen this before. Are there other models?

2 May 2007 at 1:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the translucency is lovely! this would make a great gift for a homesick aussie overseas (especially one of the architectural persuasion, i suppose). well, i want one anyway!

2 May 2007 at 9:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That vessel is beautiful, I can't even type. It has instantly lifted my mood.

3 May 2007 at 6:19 am  
Blogger Eero said...

I'm madly busy...no vessels by me, either.

Recylable polypropylene?

It's beautiful and e-friendly. Lovely.

3 May 2007 at 3:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home