17.4.07

FO: Ultra Raglan


Pattern: Ultra Raglan from knit issue 1

Yarn: Jo Sharp Silkroad Ultra. Colour: Rosso - a fraction over 16 balls. Verdict: I've already waxed lyrical on this yarn's smoothness as it flies pleasingly and insistently across the bamboo (oops,there I go again), but for latecomers: in short - fab!

Needles: 6 + 6.5 mm bamboo circulars

Modifications: Sizing, sizing, sizing:

According to the folk at Jo Sharp Inc, I'm halfway between a B and a C.
I worked the A.

Plus I used needles one size smaller than specified to counteract my loosey goosey knitting style.
And I think the fit is just right.

Go figure.
Body: a couple of centimetres longer than pattern.
Sleeves: much longer than the pattern. I basically kept going til they seemed 'right'.
Rib pattern: in lieu of the dinky little 2x2 rib band at the bottom (which I think is becoming a pet hate of mine..that little ubiquitous band), I substituted the rib from another pattern in the same book: the Men's Ribbed Raglan Sweater (prosaic titles aren't they?).


New skills
: Seaming!

General comfort/snuggle factor: Max!


Time: Cast on 4th April. Wove in last end: 15th April: 11 days.

I know there are some bloggers out there that could whip off an afghan, a quilt, 3 pairs of socks and a tea cozy in that time. But hey, 11 days is pretty speedy for me, helped of course by the chunky weight yarn.

Indebted to: words of wisdom from Rosered of the impact of smaller needles on drape, an
d to Pikku Kettu for her invaluable instructions on picking up neck stitches. Thanks gals!


more photos here



21 Comments:

Blogger Kaisakaisa said...

Lovely sweater:)

I especially love the altered ribbing, compared to k2p2. The color, the fit and the collar are also very nice!

17 April 2007 at 5:34 pm  
Blogger Jesse said...

Great work! 11 days is pretty impressive, I think.

17 April 2007 at 6:02 pm  
Blogger Pikku- Kettu said...

It turned out Ultra gorgeous! (eh)

Seriously, I love it! And 11 days, that's a lot quicker than any of my sweater projects. Congratulations!

Glad to hear that my instructions helped.

17 April 2007 at 6:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely lovely!!
Are they your new jeans?

It looks damn comfy that there jumper .

17 April 2007 at 7:17 pm  
Blogger Ashley said...

Um dude--11 days? you are a speed demon. A speed demon who makes gorgeous, flattering, perfectly-fitting sweaters. Love it! It is just beautiful.

17 April 2007 at 9:50 pm  
Blogger Di said...

Fantastic work! Of course there are some of us knitters out there who don't manage to knit a single stitch in 11 days...

17 April 2007 at 10:03 pm  
Blogger shula said...

11 days?

11 DAYS?!

Bloody hell.

17 April 2007 at 11:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i could finish my current project in the next 11 days, i would be psyched.

love the new ribbing - the sweater is fantastic!

18 April 2007 at 1:02 am  
Blogger Madge said...

Scrumptious! Well done! Love the bottom edge ribbing rework.

P.S. Uh, 11 days?! You're speedy. It takes me forever to knit a sweater...like, nine months.

18 April 2007 at 1:49 am  
Blogger Mari said...

Looks great! I love the red colour!

18 April 2007 at 2:51 am  
Blogger Brenda said...

The sweater looks fantastic! I really like how you modified the bottom edges of the body and sleeve; so much prettier than 2x2 rib! Great color, too! 11 days for a sweater is miraculously fast in my book. Congratulations!

18 April 2007 at 4:20 am  
Blogger AmberCake said...

Super
Fantastic
Sha-zam, M'am!

It's really great. Way to save the big reveal, too - I've been following along but didn't know what the final object would be like 'til now.

18 April 2007 at 5:46 am  
Blogger jacqui said...

Your ultra looks beautiful. Love the ribbing.

18 April 2007 at 8:33 am  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Love this jumper and the modifications - clever clever you! 11 days, that's amazing. I was pretty happy to finish just the back of husby's jumper in 11 days!! It looks great on you.

18 April 2007 at 8:48 am  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

awesome, awesome, awesome jumper!

Love everything about it; colour, style, neckline.

Looks like the perfect fit, too - your photos show of the details nicely

18 April 2007 at 8:26 pm  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

btw, meant to say I gag at those little ribbed bands on the original pattern too! - your modification turns the garment into so much more!

18 April 2007 at 8:29 pm  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

You are a super-speedy, sweater-making rock star! That looks like the warmest, comfiest thing ever--I want one. It's on my list for next fall/winter, definitely.

PS: Best comment EVER on the Dr. Seuss-ish response to "what shall I do with the yak?" Very appropriate. Though you can be sure it won't be a YAK CRACK SACK that I make. The others cannot be definitively crossed off my shortlist.

PPS: Also, at some point somewhere, you queried about whether I had finished Joy (Vintage Knits)... she's still in progress, though I've lost interest for the moment, what with summer approaching in this hemisphere. I really love the pattern though, and I like the Yorkie Tweed 4 ply well enough, though it is a little on the thin side, so she'll be finished in due time.

FAB sweater, Carson!!
x o

18 April 2007 at 10:54 pm  
Blogger Sue said...

The sweater looks fantastic on you, and I love the color. Well done on doing such a great job.

19 April 2007 at 12:47 pm  
Blogger M-H said...

Love it. Looks so comfortable and homey. I hate that little ribbed band too. Doubt if I'll ever make another one.

19 April 2007 at 8:05 pm  
Blogger Christy said...

Beautiful and flattering...definitely not a sack like you worried about earlier. It looks so comfy.

20 April 2007 at 1:37 pm  
Blogger Raglana said...

Your Ultra raglan is fab!! Especially the rib modification, it's just the right thing. Beautiful pictures, too. Seeing it finished I'm so tempted now to start a sweater in some merino I have, instead of my WIP knits.

23 April 2007 at 4:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home