11.4.07

Anatomy of a Stitch

Is somewhat like Botany.
I now know my heads from my bars.

I've finished making up Ultra Raglan and I've done edge to edge -or ladder- stich on my raglan seams (heads).
And I've done Invisible Vertical Seam -or mattress- stitch on my sides
(bars).

There's a lot of side. Wow is there a lot of side.

I only wish I knew my head from my ...something else..., coz there is one part of the stitch anatomy that is still eluding me..and that's which bit to pick up from on a neck edge.

The ones above have been frogged already.


I know all you helpful readers out there will be offering advice and maybe even Powerpoint tutorials, such is the joy of the knitting blogosphere, but know that by the time I check back in with you, I will have stubbornly had another go at it myself and fudged something I think is OK.

Good thing I enjoy the actual process of knitting. Seems a lot of work for what I suspect may be a big red potoato sack.

You know... it's interesting that the very first thing I knit last year, a plain old rib scarf out of handpainted brushed mohair, is still my favourite thing. The fringeing may be starting to felt into dreadlocks, but I wear it a lot, it makes me genuinely happy, and I still adore the yarn as much as when I first saw it hanging on the skein there in the shop. In fact I was wearing it the other night at the movies and found I was petting it like a cat. But then, the movie was Running With Scissors.

More poignant than "hilarious".

Still feeling the emotional afterfmath a bit.

Maybe I'll go and pet some mohair.





3 Comments:

Blogger Pikku- Kettu said...

Like petting animals, petting mohair is known to reduce blood pressure and relax the anxious mind. Scientific fact, you know? :)

I always prefer to pick up between whole stitches instead of picking up half a stitch. Half stitches always leave me with ugly holes where the stitch stretches.

I you have cast off for the neck, you have some pretty stithes at the top. I usually pick up my neck stitches under the whole stitch. That leaves the whole cast off-stitch on the wrong side of the garment but it makes for a sturdy pick up edge.

Explaining knitting is always a pain, I hope you got some sense out of the text.

11 April 2007 at 3:03 pm  
Blogger Madge said...

Joy from the handmade is a special joy, isn't it?

T'ain't nothin' wrong with petting mohair. Confession time: sometimes I just pull out the Kidsilk Haze and squeeze it for no reason at all. It always puts a grin on my face. (Wait..."petting some mohair" isn't a euphamism, right? 'Cause I'm taking it literally. Heh heh.)

12 April 2007 at 10:46 am  
Blogger Christy said...

I'm a big fan of the fake it 'til you make it approach. I hope you figured it out....looks like Pikku provided some sound advice.

13 April 2007 at 11:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home