28.2.07

Wednesday


eel traps.Yvonne Koolmatrie. 1993. woven rush


Our life is going into cardboard boxes again.
And while our life is going into cardboard boxes so too are the vessels...
tissue paper
bubble wrap
and cardboard boxes.



So some artists are going to have to fill in for me for the next few weeks.

First up is Yvonne Koolmatrie, an indigenous artist who weaves these beautiful shapes based on her clan's traditional fishing implements out of rushes. The director I'm working with at the moment put me onto her work and I'm so grateful. This is one of the up sides of what I do..I get to do such varied research.

Edited to add: Kirsten the vessel wednesday flikr group is at http://www.flickr.com/groups/vessel/
And a little more on Koolmatrie's work here.




7 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

So.....house, then?

28 February 2007 at 5:22 pm  
Blogger M-H said...

Have you got a place to go? Or will you be
camp(erdown)ing in the park?

28 February 2007 at 5:59 pm  
Blogger Heather Moore said...

I love those shapes and the idea of an eel inside. I've put a proper vessel up this week. Take a look when you're in the 'hood.

28 February 2007 at 6:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sad & lonely shelves...
i have a small contribution to your inspiring vessel wednesday concept. not sure where to leave it. :)

28 February 2007 at 8:24 pm  
Blogger KODACHROME said...

I've begun to notice the vessel Wednesday posts, and I'd love to take part. What a good idea. I have no pictures on hand to post today, and by the time I get home tonight it'll be too dark to capture a vessel, but definitely I'm in for next Wednesday. Thanks for starting such a good thing, and good luck with what looks like an impending move.

1 March 2007 at 5:33 am  
Blogger Madge said...

So where are you off to? I'm hoping this means you've found and signed the papers on your new home! (fingers and toes crossed)

Ah, shiny penny new lives just on the horizon....

1 March 2007 at 9:38 am  
Blogger room to make said...

good luck with your move!!
and thank you for the link to Koolmatrie's work...so very beautiful.

2 March 2007 at 9:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home