2.2.07

Serendipity

I've been researching bark canoes
And trying to develop a visual language in my head.
Thinking about abstraction
Thinking a lot about weave, stickwork, free-forms.
About marrying ideas of water with gum leaves without being corny.


Doodling while I'm on the phone talking about i
deas.
When I came out of the State Library yesterday after an exhaustive search into canoe making, I serendipitously walked into this sculpture:
You know when something concrete absolutley echoes and resonates with your mental process?
Well this was one of those times.




I really like the honest roughness of the texture and how the free-form 'geometry' of the sticks lends itself to ideas of leaf veining.

But...I've already forgotten (gah!) the artist's name. Right now my mind is an aluminium sieve, as opposed to a steel trap.

If any Sydneysiders know who did this piece, please let me know.




3 Comments:

Blogger bugheart said...

what a
beautiful
sculpture!
and
your drawing...
so architectur-y...
more drawins
please!
:)

3 February 2007 at 12:32 am  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

I love the glimpses into the *artist's process* that you afford us. I am so *not* an artist, but I love to appreciate them, so many of your posts resonate for me. I know nothing about the twiggy sculpture, but it is intriguing, nonetheless... good luck with your canoe-y forays.

3 February 2007 at 4:13 am  
Blogger Di said...

I love it when things come together like that. Lovely sketch- I agree with Bugheart- more sketches please!
(purely selfish reasons- I'm hoping you'll inspire me to get back into doing some sketching for pleasure, as opposed to drawing for work!)

9 February 2007 at 7:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home