9.1.07

clog progress

I wonder if TAFE offers a Cert IV in Clog Construction?
Strictly part time of course.

It's just that this 8 page document

cannot impart the finer points to us rank amateurs...

... of just what the hell I'm supposed to do with this:


(Outer sole and heel of the 'attach-as-you-go' version of the Curiously Clever Clogs,
othewise known as the Wooly Giant Squid).

And when they say Clever, they really mean it.
Forget the Cert. IV. I think you need a PhD.
Even Goat (the only holder of said qualification in this household) blanched.

Being an old self-educator from way back, I
Grabbed a pencil,
traced around the 'plan' photo in the instructions.
Made a couple of paper models,
carefully prised them apart,
and blew them up by 170%.
Giving me a 1:1 pattern to follow.
Shaped my knitted pieces accordingly.
Sewed it all together

Easy
Neat, as opposed to dog's breakfast.
Can see what I'm doing.
Yeah!
Call me old fashioned!

Ok, so there's lots of sewing, but I don't mind that.

Except that I'm not happy with the toe on the first slipper. I retained too much of the short row shaping of the original which turns out to be unecessary (in my version) and it's ended up rather lumpen.

Which I've rectified on the second slipper to a more pleasing tapered shape.
(Retaining 'purl bump' placement markers of the original)


You know what comes next...
Ripping the seams on the first slipper, re-knitting the Upper and then re-sewing it back in.
Which sounds like a lot of work but trust me, if I don't, I'll spend way more energy than that fretting about the "funny-lookin' toe".







6 Comments:

Blogger Heather Moore said...

Yikes! Your sticking power is admirable. I'd have jumped up and down on those clogs then kicked them into a dusty corner to die ages ago! They're looking great and I'm much impressed.

9 January 2007 at 5:54 pm  
Blogger Carson said...

Heather,
One person's sticking power is another person's sheer obduracy ;)
But thank you for the compliment.

9 January 2007 at 7:01 pm  
Blogger Jesse said...

Wow! Well done on seeing it through, and on such a logical process. This is what I love about knitting - anything can be figured out if you break it up into small enough pieces.

10 January 2007 at 6:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are really cool clogs but...is that really the pattern?! Well, good luck to you and your fellow KAL-ers; I still haven't gotten around to making anything felted, so I'm quite impressed

10 January 2007 at 9:13 pm  
Blogger Christy said...

The first picture was causing me a little stress, but it looks like you figured it out brilliantly.

11 January 2007 at 12:18 pm  
Blogger Ashley said...

My lord--I cannot believe you have the fortitude to keep plugging away at these. I would have thrown them into the incinerator weeks ago in a fit of unbridled rage. You are a model of patience and tenacity.

12 January 2007 at 4:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home