5.12.06

Ruby Slippers



No not those ruby slippers ... these.

No beads though.

I found it impossible to find bulky weight feltable yarn in a good range of interesting tertiary colours in Sydney that I could lay my hands on.
And I'm never again buying yarn online w
ithout first eyeballing a good actual sample of it in my hands first.
Nope I think as with all materials -unless you are very familiar with it already- you just need to hold it, handle it, look at various colours/gauges/textures together, and under different lights, in order to be completely satisfied.

So after extensive pondering of the Jo Sharp sample
cards (the strands are now so ratty I think I need a new set already) I'm going double stranded in Classic DK , which comes in a broad range of interesting muted tertiarys.

In this case- Ebony, Mulberry and Ruby.




Oh, and thanks to those of you who checked out my life outside knitting the other day and left such kind comments. Turns out the url I linked to was an object that I didn't design! how embarrasing! so I thought I'd post a couple of images here of my 'baby' the Golden Falcon and other objects I designed for the Science segment.









5 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Yum on the slipper colors. Jo Sharp--that's pretty much my palette. Not a color I don't like.

Also yum on the falcon--I like his skeleton-y presence--and I just taught Donne's "A Valediction, Forbidding Mourning" last week, so I am feeling quite partial to compasses.

5 December 2006 at 3:01 pm  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Ooops! No worries...the *actual* things you designed are quite awesome! The hovering bird and the protractor man are RAD!

The felted slippers look cute - and good ol' reliable Jo Sharp, she's a-okay!

PS: Thanks for your comment about my UAE trip...this will be my third trip over there, so I am well versed in the alien-ness of the Middle East. We'll be relatively close to Dubai, which is *quite* liberal...complete with their own IKEA! (It's always such an odd sight to see women in full birkas wheeling carts full of Scandanavian furniture to their cars!) And if you ever want to draw for an archaeological project, I could probably make some calls! ;o)

5 December 2006 at 3:11 pm  
Blogger jacqui said...

Lovely colour choices! Have you got your hands on a shade card from Bendigo Woollen Mills in Victoria? They do mail order and send their cards free. They have a rustic 12ply pure new wool which I think is feltable. They are quite a bit cheaper than JS, but the colours are not as lovely.

5 December 2006 at 3:27 pm  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear ruby slippers will always get my attention!!
I only wish I had seen the ceremony on Saturday to see all of your fantastic things in motion - wow (again!)

5 December 2006 at 3:42 pm  
Blogger Jesse said...

Lovely objects, the bird in particular.

5 December 2006 at 5:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home