1.12.06

Curtis tolerates his hat



Imogen's 16 month old Curtis gradually gets used to the idea of a lifetime of modelling well-intentioned knitwear.

Yes I think that's Vegemite on the chin (Immi?)
No pristine infant a la 6.5 stitches. ..no sir, we're all kitchen-sink-realism here at Needle's Edge.

I always tell my students to keep all their process drawings, the early rough ones that lie crumpled furtively in the backs of folios and get hidden away, embarrased by their slickly refined photoshop replacements further down the line. Because they're invaluable for so many reasons; in their quick uncensorsed execution, they may contain the germ of an idea that got lost in the translation, or they demonstrate just how far you've come in your process and it's interesting and instructive to look back.

And this shows me just how far I've come in my process of learning to knit over the last 6 months.

This little hat for Curtis was my 2nd ever project. I'm not even going to start on the myriad of strange funny mistakes and choices, its unintentional resemblance to an acorn. That would be too easy. But I offer it up in the same spirit that I encourage my students to do.

And besides, like the booties, it was made with love. (ok, maybe more frustration than love at the balley part).






4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

The hat and the model are gorgeous!

Nice second project...thanks for sharing ;)

1 December 2006 at 11:56 am  
Blogger Ashley said...

I quite like taht it looks like an acorn. Elfin.

1 December 2006 at 1:51 pm  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

hey carson, vegemite boy looks too cute for words. can i send some wild woolies for you to release into the wild down under??

1 December 2006 at 2:13 pm  
Blogger Rose Red said...

"Curtis gradually gets used to the idea of a lifetime of modelling well-intentioned knitwear" - I love it!!!

1 December 2006 at 2:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home