31.8.08

The Absentee Blogger


Another title could’ve easily been AWOFAD*

Did I even go to Melbourne?

Did I even get back feeling stimulated, buoyant, refreshed?

Evidence tells me that is so but I already don’t remember.

I know that I spent an interesting afternoon here.

This is my 'Monument' cover shot ;)


And I’m in love with the work of David Trubridge.

His background is in naval structural engineering ( I think?), very evident in the complex curves of his work. It also has an exquisite artisanal quality about it too: hand-sanded ply, disarmingly simple pop-rivet joints. His pieces sit so comfortably here with the display units (concrete block topped with a grey industrial felt crust), the finely selected mid-century furniture and narrative expression of the space (peeled back paint layers to 19th century, mechanical hoists left in situ), delicious late afternoon autumn light streaming in, that it’s very hard not to be seduced. I am already on the savings plan for one of his Nikau lamps.

Just as soon as I’ve paid off the credit card after going modestly mad in Martas Yarns and various other wonderful places (pictures soon I promise). To the Melbourne hostesses with the mostesses, I salute you all with an appropriately delicious glass of red.

Goat is in Geneva and I’ve just had one of those weeks where you end up so overwhelmingly frustrated by obstructions preventing you from doing a good job that you’re at the point of tears –never a good look crying in the workplace- that you have to stay in the loo or just go home. You know those weeks. Thank god for Scout, Harper and the levelling, grounding camaraderie of the dog park is all I can say. That and the fact that woolly objects have been finished. Pictures of those soon too.

*Week of fucking awful days.




7 Comments:

Blogger shula said...

Daringheart,

Your post has some Very Weird Coding going on.

I've had EXACTLY the same kind of week. Almost every piece of machinery I have laid hands on in the workplace has broken.

And some awful headaches (see previous paragraph).


Must be in the stars.

31 August 2008 at 9:26 pm  
Blogger the artful little minx said...

she lives...!

because I can talk, considering the status of my blogging at present.

take heart that today is spring and you can now blame work-tears on allergies...

hope the obstructions go F themselves and get outta your way this week, and i can't wait to see the haul from Marta's!!

1 September 2008 at 7:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's nice to know you're still with us.

And with more beautiful, calm grey to swim in.

I used to cry in the loo at work. It works very well (there's a plentiful supply of toilet paper to blow snotty noses on, too).

1 September 2008 at 8:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo, lovely to see a post from you. even if life has all gone to crap.
[maybe you and al need to get together...]
hope this week is a goodie.
kirsten xx

1 September 2008 at 8:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is definitely something in the air. Or planets. Or El Nino or something.....I dunno. I hope this week gets back on track for you!

I always take solace in Lottie....something about the look and love of a dog, a good dog - well, it's incredibly buoyant.

3 September 2008 at 8:13 am  
Blogger Di said...

Hope this/next week makes up for it. When I have moments like that I try to remember the bigger picture and place all the frustrations in context- that the day will pass, the project will (one way or another) end, and that the dog (or cat in my case) will still look up at you lovingly (if only for the food you provide) when you get home.

3 September 2008 at 2:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll just nod. A lot. I'm taking myself out tomorrow night. No idea where. No idea what I'm doing. But cake and coffee will be involved. Because I'm over this week, and I have no bathroom to hide and cry in.

3 September 2008 at 8:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home