11.3.08

Newness + Absences


Even though I proudly display the blogging without obligation button on these pages, I nevertheless feel beholden somehow to explain my absence from said pages of late. Let's face it, my blogging has been far from avid. It's not for lack of material. I have finished no less than three projects since I last posted (yes, three!), have had all my hair cut off (lots of fodder there) but for some reason I just cannot get it together to document and wax lyrical.

Even this post started out as a reallllly long series of tags accompanying a photo on flickr, until I realised if I was writing that much it pretty much qualified as a blog post, and so here it is:

New boots.
I bought new boots.
A simple sentence.
Oh so simple.


And yet those of you who are similarly paddle-footed and view the very notion of shoe shopping with a level of apprehension akin only to trips to the dentist, will know the truth that lurks within that sentence. Never. That. Simple.

So on Sunday I went shopping, determine
d to buy a pair of boots that fitted really well. On the first browse, I thought I'd accidentally stumbled into a drag queen outfitters.
Why is everything so sparkly?

By the end of the second store and several $1,500+ price tags later, I was already hitting a mild desperation level , and I'd only been looking for less tha
n an hour.
Third store: The first pair of boots I laid my eyes on were almost perfect and I clutched the sampl
e to my chest so that no one else could get their greedy, unworthy little hands on it while I perused the rest of the floor. A little something inside me died as I slid inevitably towards the "Kumfy World" end of the store. There's no two ways about it, those shoes just say "Me and Style? We agreed to part ways a long time ago".

But there is a happy end to this story, as the photo can attest.
Incidentally, what does a webversion2.0 gal do when she gets a pair of boots out of the box? Wear them outside? No! Take a photo of them and put it on the internet of course! What a strange universe I inhabit now. Friends who know me well would argue I've always inhabited rather a strange universe. I guess this is just a new and peculiar brand of strangeness.

But back to the one (by now quite warm) boot I was clutching. Yes there was a pair in my size (miracle) and as I slid it on (slid?! when was the last time a boot just actually slid on without a fight? I tell you this is
just like butter as they say in Joisey) the saleswoman told me they were made in Austria.

"Is that a good sign"? I asked.

"Best boots come from Austria love" she replied as if I was silly to not know that, and I swear she winked at me, knowing once a customer had been bitten by the Austrian Boot Bug, there was no looking back.

And she'd be right. Best boots I have ever bought.
Ever. They're by Kennel und Schmenger, and I'm wondering if I plug them enough whether they will start sending me free boots in an endorsement deal. I can see the letter now:

Marketing Department
Kennel und Schmenger
Austria.


Dear Sirs Liebe Herren...

No, perhaps I shouldn't. I can see a mangled
David Sedaris-esque 'deutisch' coming out of that.

Speaking of which have you seen this pizza delivery service? Normally we would order a pizza once a months or so, but if I knew that Sedaris was going to deliver it, I would be tempted to order one almost every night just to get the monologue.



17 Comments:

Blogger Rose Red said...

I share your pain re boot shopping...and I *love* your boots (but of course!) - the perfect heel height, calf length, and not over the top buckles. Definitely perfection in a boot.

11 March 2008 at 1:41 pm  
Blogger Michele said...

i'm killing myself laughing. nice to see your humor here again. and great boots!

my fav boots come from Australia - yes the Blundstones. guess they say me and style parted company a long time ago too.

11 March 2008 at 1:45 pm  
Blogger MWM said...

I am up late (sick) and after laughing out loud I'm now suffering through another coughing fit.
I think you need to send me a pair of boots in consolation.
I'll send you my address shortly.
xo

11 March 2008 at 4:55 pm  
Blogger Pikku- Kettu said...

Beautiful boots! And it's nice to see, well read you again! :)

I feel your pain at the shoe shopping thing. I basically buy one pair of shoes a year and wear them all year round almost every day. And it's time for shoe shopping again..

11 March 2008 at 5:28 pm  
Blogger Di said...

Oh, I feel your pain. And I share your joy. Lovely boots. I don't think I've ever tried on an Austrian boot myself, but you make it sound like something everyone should do at least once.

11 March 2008 at 10:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the boots. What is Paddle-footed?

I am a huge Sedaris fan, best T-shirt ever:
http://www.youcantkilltherooster.com/shirts.php

That site belongs to Paul Sedaris, aka The Rooster.

11 March 2008 at 10:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

paddle-footed??? aHAHAHAHAHAHA!

since I have the feet of a perfect teeny ballerina, i just have no idea what you mean.

NOT.

good for you with the boots - sometimes when I find shoes that fit I think it's kismet.

don't worry about infrequent postings - we all feel your energy swirling around us even if the words aren't on the page. :)

12 March 2008 at 3:30 am  
Blogger Madge said...

Love the boots, dahling!

"Hands off, that's my midget." is my fave Sedaris line ever.

12 March 2008 at 4:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you find the boot. You grab. I understand that holding on for dear life thing in a shoe shop, quietly praying no one else sees what you have and fights you for it. I sold shoes for a long time through Uni, and I can tell you some horrific shoe fight tales.

12 March 2008 at 9:43 am  
Blogger shula said...

Al's right of course.

My nana was a shoe saleswoman.

The stories she had.

Fabulous boots, they really are.

Mine are German, and I would happily knife anyone who tried to take them from me.

12 March 2008 at 5:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kennel und schmenger (http://www.ksshoes.de/) are GERMAN boots - although yours are really looking good!
Austrian shoe/boot companies are e.g. Waldviertler: http://www.gea.at/frameset_gehen.html and Think: http://www.thinkshoes.com/
take lovely greetings from Vienna, Austria, Dolores

13 March 2008 at 6:41 pm  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

fab boots, hon! well done to you. and Austria, eh? who'da thunk it?!

13 March 2008 at 10:00 pm  
Blogger Ashley said...

Austrian (or possibly German, per Dolores) boots? Who knew? I kind of wish I didn't now, really, as I have a whole new set of footwear to obsess over. "Well, clearly I need new boots; mine are only AustrALian!"

15 March 2008 at 2:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

classic post.
and on song with a ripper.
me? boots?
camper.
but i admit i haven't tried the austrian/german variety.

17 March 2008 at 1:47 am  
Blogger comfies said...

hee. very funny post. these boots are beautiful. i shall look them up on google.

17 March 2008 at 9:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So.....did you get the house? I've had my fingers crossed for you!

20 March 2008 at 11:09 am  
Blogger comfies said...

so, guess what? i'm coming to sydney in april! i don't suppose you have a list of favorite haunts? places to see? shops you love to visit?

21 March 2008 at 6:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home