19.2.08

On being a grown up


Sometimes it just sucks being one.
Take right now for instance.
What I should be doing is calling the solicitor and the broker and asking some very important questions that arose out of a conversation Goat and I were having last night.
Also semester starts in just over a week and there are some areas of my knowledge I need to take a refresher in before attempting to impart it to the Youth of Australia.
Instead, I find myself here uploading some photos of the dogs.
Yep.
I'm the girl making dandelion chains in the middle of the battlefield while the armoured soldiers clash around me.
La la land?
Me?
Never.


Stick chewing is a serious business. Scout likes to get them right back to the molars for maximum leverage.
Apologies for supremely ugly fence in the background -it really breaks the aesthetic rhythm of the blog- curse you Marrickville Council for not being considerate enough to provide more attractive backdrops for dogwalking photo opportunities! If you could put some Art Direction into it guys, I'd be most apppreciative.

But maybe I shouldn't be so tough on myself. After all, I manage to be a responsible dog parent; I can measure incrementally how much Harper has improved in the three and a half months she's been with us, from a damaged and dull-coated pup into a happier, calmer, shiny-coated girl that doesn't wee when she's in trouble and actually plays with toys.

And I manage to keep my human family well fed (perhaps too well fed in my case). Even more so since I discovered the treasure trove that is Lucy's blog : nourish me. The name says it all really.
If like me you're feeling jaded by overwhelming flavours and overly fussy recipes *cough* jamie, bill *cough*, and so over-stretched and fragile by dinnertime, that you really need to quickly whip up some nutritious, delicious comfort food with barely more than the canned legumes in the pantry, then you are going to love Lucy's take on food. (No, you actually don't have to spend a day and a half traipsing about searching for organic thyme-infused puy lentils for this one!). So far I've made her Thai Chickpeas (makes great leftovers!) and her Banana Leaf Snapper Parcels on the barbie, courtesy of our lovely neighbour's banana tree that hangs over the fence. You can almost pretend you're on a (gourmet) survival course on a desert island with this one.

And while I'm on the shout-out trail, if you're also like me in wondering about the gendered nature of craft/design blogging, then nina's post may also tickle a different kind of taste bud and perhaps echo your thoughts on the topic as well.









7 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

Nope no reason to be hard on yourself, we all do it. For example, right now, I am reading blogs when I should be updating my paperwork for my art therapy registration and my counseling license....but looking at pictures of dogs is much more fun. I know I'll get the work done well enough before it's due.

19 February 2008 at 12:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

De-lurking to say: Procrastination and avoidance.....definite Architect evidence. Lol.
I don't know why all that paperwork for mortgages and home buying has to be so painful. I am thankful that we had a good lawyer who quickly figured out that we were not interested in digesting the fine print. We're 'bottom line' kind of people when it come to such things.

Congrats on the home!

19 February 2008 at 1:54 pm  
Blogger Madge said...

Aw, look at those happy pups. Scout looks positively blissful shredding her stick to bits. And Harper is now a lovely girl.

Your kind heart trumps paperwork! And that's so not a bad thing.

x.

20 February 2008 at 4:00 am  
Blogger HANDMADELIFE said...

Really if your dogs look that happy there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to apologies for the daisy chain making!

well done!!!

20 February 2008 at 8:26 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Nothing beats a good stick-chewin'. I find sticks in all sorts of lengths hidden around the house...hmm...

Harper has come a long way - you really have done a excellent job.

One can never be too well fed...thanks, Carson. It was 'bout time I de-lurked.

20 February 2008 at 8:26 am  
Blogger Ashley said...

Dogs are better than homework every time.

20 February 2008 at 11:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fingers will remain crossed for the house. Thanks for stopping by! ;)

21 February 2008 at 9:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home