6.11.07

The Coping Scale : Some quantitative data

Lace. Work by Cecilia Heffer



On a scale of one to ten, where
ten is a Queen Boudica-like
"Bring it on, bring on your slings and arrows, for I Am Indomitable" !
and
one is
"Please institutionalise me now" !
I am teetering around a 1.5 to a 2.

These 5 am wakeup calls may be the death of me.

Work to be done, but instead there's lying in bed in the middle of the afternoon clutching eye mask, chamomile tea and hot water bottle to the soporific sounds of Harper eating the floor. No, not something on the floor, but the floor itself. Then another, different sound, one which pulls me from my deathbed to investigate. One of my shoes is in the process of being deconstructed and eaten. And not any old shoe either but only my most comfortable shoes EVER.
(I know, I know...I have been through this puppy thing before and I know I shouldn't have left my shoes lying on the floor especially with a young dog with an exceptionally low boredom threshold. Momentary lapse of judgement brought on by sleep deprivation). Walk through house to hurl remains of shoes disgustedly into closed-off room only to step in giant puddle of piddle, even though the back door to the yard is wide open. Try not to cry in exhausted exasperation while mopping up.


Ok, enough of that.

Right, knitting.

Knitting, knitting, knitting.

I have almost finished a hat.


[Huge round of cheering and applause]

Exeunt.





8 Comments:

Blogger kgirlknits said...

ooh, that puppy stage is rough, ain't it? Add the breed's exuberance into the mix, and well, it's like a newborn and a toddler all mixed into one!

good luck with that one!

thanks for the lovely comment on my baby wrap, too :)

6 November 2007 at 6:57 pm  
Blogger Pikku- Kettu said...

She'll learn. I know it doesn't really help at this point, but she'll learn.

I can still remember the happy day we got all our rugs back on the floor after months of house training. :)

6 November 2007 at 7:32 pm  
Blogger Ashley said...

I really enjoy that scale of measurement. I am also at approximately 1.5. Happily, not because of pee on my floor, though. Puppies.

10 months, though? She'll learn soon. You can do it, Harper! Suffer those slings and arrows of going outside.

7 November 2007 at 12:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi carson,

i really hope you are catching a nice cat nap during the day. i'm sure harper will groove with your schedule soon. she is too cute in your photos -- but then again, that's how they get you.

how about one of those kong toys with peanut butter? Would she go for that instead of the floor?

p.s. your hat looks lovely and i really want to squeeze and squish that elephant you made. so CUTE!

7 November 2007 at 7:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chocolate. Now. Lots of it. GO!
And knit - knitting is good for trauma.

7 November 2007 at 10:08 pm  
Blogger Madge said...

Ah, the exuberance of youth. So many shoes to chew, so many balls/sticks/toys to chase and worry, so many shiny new moments.

The cure for us oldtimers? Naps. Naps are good. Hope you're getting some. Naps, that is.

*scritches to the furry ones*

8 November 2007 at 7:41 am  
Blogger MWM said...

oh -so sorry. It sounds even worse than a new baby...
we are going through the "kitten stage" here....fritz likes to eat pins. I might have to quit sewing for about 6 months.
Oh -and this morning he ate half my sons yogurt right from the container in the middle of the dining room table (daintily licking his paws when I showed up. I know, I know, it can't compare to a DOG, who would have wolfed down the whole thing, container and all -but then you're the one who went and got a dog instead of a cat:))
xoxo

9 November 2007 at 3:41 am  
Blogger Loraine said...

Hope your back to a reasonable level now...let's say five , where you have the power to lift up those needles for at least an hour and can keep precious stuff away from harper in time.

...here's some mint tea

9 November 2007 at 4:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home