24.10.07

version 2.0


^

The buzz phrase I've kept hearing for the last week is Web Version 2.0

Blogging, flickr, ravelry and Facebook (although I haven't gone there despite invitations, I barely have time to maintain a meaningful connection to the first three. That and the fact that I don't like the idea of being poked).
They're all part of this wave.
Finally, perhaps for the first and only time I feel like I'm in the avant !

The village green with a digital interface.

And I'm sure I'm not the first to observe the irony of disseminating handcrafting this way.

Perhaps I should call it the Trading Post with a digital interface, because there's no doubt about the sharing side of this phenomena:

Michele at knitsane and I recently made a yarn swap.

You'll remember Furry Goodness from ages ago.
Well, turns out I'm allergic to alpaca. ( I can knit it, just can't wear it).
Oh the humanity!
Then I noticed how partial to this particular fibre Michele seemed, and idly suggested a swap if she ever felt like taking it in and giving it a good home.

Well, to cut a medium-length story short, this arrived:



Only about an entire goat's worth of delicious mohair!

Beautifully dyed by Michele with natural dyes. Very difficult to capture in a photo, but it has a subtle warmth from Logwood and a silvery blue undertone from Indigo peeking through.
In crude terms, the overall effect is one of warm brownish grey.

Immediately it said to me

Weave me..

Weave me into a fabric of gossamerey warmness that I may be thrown casually yet artfully across your couch (yep, that's right, the one that is currently gutted and awaiting its new upholstery and may very well be grounds for divorce from the other Goat in my life if it's not finished soon! ! !... but I digress) where I may lie resplendent and my subtley variegated hues may cheer you and we will all live happily ever after...

So I've been eyeing off the weaving classes and wondering if I can possibly squeeze another hobby into my life.

Thank you Michele.

How much do we love version 2.0?!





^
still from Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man '95

4 Comments:

Blogger MWM said...

ok, now I finally know what web 2.0 is. thank you.
I have also been trying to resist the weaving bug. So far so good. but I imagine after you post some amazing pictures of this gorgeous stuff woven into a magic carpet I'll be off to sign up. excuse me if I don't visit for awhile....

24 October 2007 at 8:29 pm  
Blogger Ashley said...

We love it a LOT.

24 October 2007 at 11:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a beautiful still you posted at the top! intriguing too. makes me want to get the movie to watch.

and the other photo - what can i say, i'm biased. nice to see it.

24 October 2007 at 11:59 pm  
Blogger AmberCake said...

Do I get a bonus point for recognizing Dead Man before you named it? What a funky movie.

Weaving is awesome. And set-up intensive. And that mohair will make a gorgeous throw. Weaving is awesome. It's sort of my primary textile love, but since most of my textile time is on-the-go, I don't do much of it. But it's DANGEROUSLY fun.

25 October 2007 at 2:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home