31.10.07

Misc.

Tales of Butthead & Gooseberry*


Readers can guess which one is which.

Thank you to everyone who offered name suggestions for our new girl, I was somewhat overwhelmed!

But the prize for Instigating, Winning and therefore Closing the "Name that Dog"! competition goes to Ashley with her genius thematic choice of Harper. A little something is winging your way Ashley.
No, it's not a Plasma screen or even some skeins of Koigu in the newly-commissioned dogged colourway, so don't get too excited.

The title: don't you just love Miscellaneous as a catch-all filing category? Synonymous with "That load of paper in that box under there", or "That particularly bulging hanging file right at the back of the filing cabinet containing Mystery Contents to be taken out and marvelled over once a year".

It's my favourite all-time over-used genre. Not that I'm as disciplined with filing as I used to be. When I had an actual office/studio outside of my home, I was a bandit for prompt filing, but these days I seem to end up with more of what I call Denial Piles rather than actual filed stuff. And when you're a freelance designer working on multiple jobs, and you teach as well, you end up with a lot of Denial Piles. That's on top of your personal administration, otherwise known as "Misc."

This is a "Misc.-ey" sort of post.

Yesterday I was reading a very interesting essay by Christine Rosen (via Arts & Letters Daily); a sociological take on the flipside of web version 2.0 that I was banging on about earlier. No conclusions drawn but some very interesting observations.

Further adventures in version 2.0 swappiness and knitting coming very soon! Just as soon as the recipient receives her package safe and sound.

* Four days in, and Harper has already developed a small fan club in the dog park. Last night I was walking her and I heard someone behind me yell "Is that Harper Lee"? When I turned round, it wasn't anyone I -or to my knowledge Harper herself- had ever met before. She'd obviously already been getting some serious loving-up on walks with Goat. There was some debate with this particular lady's friend about whether she was 'just like a hot chocolate', or 'a bit of a latte'. It was decided finally that she was indeed a 'Moccachino'.

Welcome to city life, Harper Lee!

Excuse the appalling pun, I think I've been reading our free Community Newspaper too much lately. Its' Sub Editor really goes overboard with truly groan-inducing pun-age in the headlines.





















5 Comments:

Blogger Moorecat said...

This is all getting rather circular

:)

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog; I think Harper is definitely a suitable tag for your newest family member.

31 October 2007 at 12:08 pm  
Blogger shula said...

Hmmm. Yes. I have to admit, once I saw the suggestion of Harper, I declined to try to and better it.

It's pretty damn good.

31 October 2007 at 2:23 pm  
Blogger Ashley said...

Hooray for Harper! I claim honorary godmother status to my gooseberry-eyed kelpie friend.

I heard Christine Rosen interviewed on a radio show the other day. I thight some of her points were interesting; at the same time--and maybe I'm just being self-deluded here--I think our little network has some significant differences from myspace and the like. I tend to shy away from Web 2.0 in fact (Ravelry: organizational tool? Yes. Social network? No.) whereas obviously I embrace making the blog connections. But I don't know--like i said, I may be delusional.

But in the end, what matters is that if I ever come to Australia, I can think of at least 4 dogs to pat there :)

31 October 2007 at 11:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the name - it is indeed perfect! :) and such an adorable face - she is going to loooove city life. and moccachinos.

2 November 2007 at 9:26 am  
Blogger amisha said...

i feel like my whole life is in misc piles right now...

harper is such a cutie. congrats!

3 November 2007 at 2:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home