5.9.07

Spring is Sprung

De grass is riz.
I wunner where de boidies iz.

Dey say de boid is on de wing.
But dat's absoid.
I always thought

De wing was on de boid.


- contentiously attributed to Ogden Nash

It's been on my mind ever since the weekend, which was the official start of Spring here in the Southern Hemisphere, and I've been wracking my brains trying to identify the childhood book I remember it from. Possibly
Children's Book of Nonsense Verse or somesuch , with illustrations by Ralph Steadman? Or I could be conflating it with something else. Entirely possible.

Spring = warmth and growth= about two more centimetres of Clessidra #2.
Yep, that's right, it doesn't look that much different from the first one does it?
Except this one is slightly less inept as I know what I'm doing this time around.

Thanks everyone who contributed to the linguistics debate on a "good" 45 minutes. I don't think we got to the bottom of it, or ever will get to the bottom of it, but it was fun exploring the nuances.

Saw Home Song Stories last night. Well worth seeing. Melinda (production design) did a fantastic job of evoking the quiet desperation and ugliness of early 70s suburban Melbourne as well as the severe austerity of pre-Cultural Revolution Northern China. I remember Melinda came to me years ago and asked whether I thought she should go to NIDA or to Film School. I said Film School with no hesitation. I'm glad to see I gave her the right advice!

Happy vessel wednesday. I'm celebrating .

6 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Spring! How exotic! Let's see some of those cherry blossoms. Trade you some fall foliage?

5 September 2007 at 2:16 pm  
Blogger Heather Moore said...

Southern Hemisphere spring, you say? It's bloody pouring here in Cape Town. Those boids have their wings firmly tucked away and there'll be no spring winging for a fair bit yet. Grump.
(Love the nautilus stairwell, btw)

5 September 2007 at 5:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it may look the same as the other one but it's still gorgeous.

always tricky giving career/school advice to someone so it is great when you can see it was the right advice.

6 September 2007 at 2:50 am  
Blogger Little Snoring said...

Love the poem, and I loved Home Song Stories too. What a film. The session I saw was followed by a Q & A with Tony Ayres -that was truly illuminating and such a nice guy. He says his life has been pretty normal since, for which ge was releaved.

The production design was indeed great !

6 September 2007 at 8:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Carson, the synopsis for the film looks great––gotta see it.

I'm a fan of Ogden; I don't know how much a fan of knitting he was, as he also said the famous ditty "Knit one, purl two, hubby zero." :P

11 September 2007 at 3:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh so lucky you are having spring! it is getting cold here. we only had two days of summer and now it is winter. :(.
thank you for your comment and i shall also be a regular visitor to your site as well! loving the connections you make of things and life. :).

15 September 2007 at 6:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home