27.7.07

Global wrap up


Figure i.
A roughly forty metre square plot of Inner West backyard with a charming view of
a factory's brick wall.
Scout the English Staffy chases away possums, Myna birds and the occasional neighbours' cat. (No, she doesn't want to eat them, she just wants to be their friend and really doesn't understand why they don't want to be her friend: a breakdown in cross cultural communication).

Figure ii.
Here (scroll down)

A rambling, Moomin-esque cottage in Upper Finnish Lapland with a sweeping view of a pristine lake.
Tina the Finnish Spitz chases away..... Reindeer.


Meanwhile in Michigan, Ashley's sloggin' through her Rhiannons and I can empathise.


I've completed one Clessidra and now just waiting for a good excuse to get back over to the North Shore to get another ball of yarn from Rubi + Lana so I can start the second. Needless to say I'm obviously not exactly champing at the bit to get over there otherwise I'd have cast on by now.

The Interminable Long Sock Doldrums (ILSD) may not be as arduous or insanity-inducing as ,say, unpicking hemp rope like poor Oscar was made to do in Reading Gaol or indeed Franklin's Christening Shawl.

But close.

Let's just say it's fiddly and leave it at that.
Does anyone have any tips for incorporating elastic? I knitted that band as snug
as the proverbial bug, but it still makes me feel nervous.




Back in Sydney's Inner West, there's a lot of procrastinating going on.
Mainly on flickr.
I was telling Al that I may need to ban myself from flickr just so I can get some work done. Thing is, I was only half joking.

Never let it be said that nothing good can come out of procrastinati
ng however as I was inspired by Sophie Grebe's wrapping paper on flickr to translate my Bainbridge Instructional How To drawings into a wrapper of sorts for a gift.
I worried that a decontextualised Bainbridge arriving in the mail might baffle even the savviest of
origamially-minded individuals, including the scarf's recipient.



Ink on drafting film, tissue, yarn, paint chip as tag.



Finally in Los Angeles, someone in blogland whose desk is as messy as mine. Thanks Ah-yi.

Have a good weekend everyone.





8 Comments:

Blogger :: melissa :: said...

Love the sock and love the wrapping paper.
ps - I have, floating around somewhere, a copy of the simple baby mules pattern, so if you are still after it, let me know

27 July 2007 at 4:09 pm  
Blogger shula said...

It's all so beautiful.

27 July 2007 at 9:03 pm  
Blogger Loraine said...

A good weekend to you too Carson...the package looks beautiful
and so does clessidra l or r.

27 July 2007 at 9:40 pm  
Blogger Ashley said...

Oh that wrapping paper--brilliant, brilliant. Make sure you tell Minty about it--it'll tickle her pink.

Re: the Clessidra, you are living my worst fear, which is that once I finish the first Rhiannon I'll be too overcome to start the econd. Sigh. fortitude. As for the elastic, I think you could just run it behind the ribbing like you're weaving in ends, or, if you're feeling adventuresome, run it through the ribbing! Do you read TECHknitter? She just did a series on various ways to weave in ends that would be apropos. I think it's techknittng.blogspot.com

27 July 2007 at 11:59 pm  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

your sock looks lovely, and I'm sure it will defy gravity all on its own, but if yiou can lay your hands on a copy of Debbie Stoller's Stitch n Bitch (first book), there's a knee-hi sock pattern that incorporates elastic in the cuff, and quite a detailed set of instructions on how to do it.
(if you don't have it or can't borrow it, don't buy it, let me know and I'll send it to you if you want it)

28 July 2007 at 9:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how fabulous is that wrapping paper? oh yeah. lovin' it.

28 July 2007 at 10:14 am  
Blogger Madge said...

Clessidra the first is lovely!

29 July 2007 at 4:49 am  
Blogger amisha said...

that wrapping is so lovely and inspiring. the paint chip tag is just perfect.

1 August 2007 at 2:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home