5.4.07

A very orange-themed vessel wednesday

I was inspired by Christy to photograph some orange this morning. Just happened to have some persimmons lying around as you do and thought they might work tonally with Christy's Silky Tweed. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Although a warning, if you haven't had breakfast yet ( all you musicians out there know what I'm talking about ) you should before you have a look, otherwise an overwhelming craving for wholemeal toast with orange marmalade may overwhelm you. Which is not a bad thing.

Now if you're in the Southern hemisphere this will be a belated vessel wednesday.
But if you're like Martha (also incidentally no stranger to orange) and you're in the Northern, then this is right on time (and probably less confusing).

The vessel: a huge pleasingly chunky ovoid white ceramic platter picked up for next to nix at a closing down sale. Weighs a tonne and probably intended to serve whole roasts with all the trimmings. However roast joints with trimmings being rather rare chez Needles & Goat, it comes in very handy for storing a weeks worth of fruit shopping.
Or in this case more modestly with 3 persimmons.

On a more knitting-themed note, but an equally thrifty one- I picked up a copy of IK's Scarf Style at my favourite 2nd-hand bookshop Elizabeth's.
I'm hypnotised by uber talented Norah Gaughan's Here and There Cables (check out knitting box's).
I'm thinking alpaca, I'm feeling a big rip coming on...









11 Comments:

Blogger Eero said...

Persimmons! Lovely color.

I finally make a contribution to Vessel Wednesday, with an attribution to you---are you the person who began this idea?

E.

5 April 2007 at 3:16 pm  
Blogger Rose Red said...

ooh, I nearly went into to Elizabeth's today (city store) but didn't have time. Must make time to visit next time I'm up that end of the city! I've been tempted by that here and there cables scarf too. One day...
Love the orange.

5 April 2007 at 3:57 pm  
Blogger Pikku- Kettu said...

Loving the color! I also drooled over Christy's orange silky tweed, and I already purchased the pattern for the beauty that she is knitting from it.

5 April 2007 at 4:31 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

I love Elizabeth's city store because it's in the Korean & Comic quarter of the CBD. Many a wasted afternoon can be had there.

5 April 2007 at 9:03 pm  
Blogger Christy said...

Beautiful photo and ooo persimmons...I may have to include some to go with my vest in my FO post.

6 April 2007 at 8:18 am  
Blogger Ashley said...

Love that color, and love the scarf. That is some cable-y goodness.

6 April 2007 at 10:52 am  
Blogger AmberCake said...

Wait a cotton-pickin' minnit! You are NOT suggesting that you rip your sweater project, are you? I mean, you should do what you want and what will make you happy, but you want that sweater. Didn't you just say that you wanted a non-sock, non-scarf garment that you had knitted yourself?

Sorry, just speaking as someone who's in a similar would-love-to-have-a-well-loved-sweater-made-by-me. Just making sure. Just trying to be encouraging. Scarf Style is a DANGEROUS book. Someday I really am going to make the color scarf (I forget the proper name, but I bet you know the one).

Off the soap box, here's a cool persimmon color site:
http://kakishibuusa.com/

7 April 2007 at 2:13 am  
Blogger Vouray said...

About the anonymous commenter a couple entries back...I get haters all the time on my blog. I've learned to wipe out their comments so other people can't read them. The asshole gets off on causing waves thru your entire blog for awhile. They hurt, tho.

7 April 2007 at 9:08 am  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Beautiful persimmons. I just got some sock yarn with the colorway designated as "persimmon". I was confused because it looks more like a rosy pink. Then I began second-guessing myself that I even knew what persimmons were. They're not so common on this side of the hemisphere. But, right. Your beautiful vessel photo cleared things up. More orangy than pinky. And mmmm they look delicious.

7 April 2007 at 11:55 pm  
Blogger Charlotte said...

I didn't manage last vessel wednesday - sort of. I did post a picture but then deleted it from my stream as it was a bit full of reflections. see you next wednesday though !

9 April 2007 at 8:37 am  
Blogger Madge said...

Y'know, I've never eaten a persimmon, but I love how they look. Is that shallow? *grin*

Score on Scarf Style. Great patterns contained therein, offering hours of knitterly fun.

And a supersized thanks for the knitty short row heel link! You rock. Now my head won't explode.

10 April 2007 at 3:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home