3.4.07

Smooth as





Jo Sharp Silkroad Ultra?
Smooth as.
I mean this stuff just charges off the needles like teflon.
I like the way quality yarn gives you not so much your usual chevron-shape on your knit stitches, but rather an aysmmetric twist.

Thank you to everyone for your tension/gauge advice!
Thank goodness for the clear-headed RoseRed advising me not to go down to the 5.5mms!
In my fever to get gauge I totally lost sight of the concept of drape. The fabric that this rib pattern is producting is stiff enough, if I was working it in anything less than 6.5mms it would probably be like cardboard.

The thing I don't like about Ultra Raglan design is the dinky little inch of rib at the bottom (in fact it's all about the neck), so I tossed up whether to go with the "all stockinette n curl up" look that she does elsewhere (and I kinda like) or this rib from one of the mens sweater patterns. I liked how the stitch came up in the swatch so much I'm charging ahead with this option.
See how it goes; a bit of an experiment.
And if it doesn't work out, this is so fast to knit it doesn't really matter if I have to frog (well, not much anyway).




8 Comments:

Blogger Rose Red said...

Glad to be of some assistance! How good is it to have a fast knit from time to time! And while I sometimes like to be able to knit something exactly as written in the pattern (don't need to think that way!) one of the truly great things about knitting is that you can change patterns to get the ribbing (or whatever) that you prefer.

3 April 2007 at 9:46 am  
Blogger Emily said...

Oh, I love Jo Sharp Silkroad! The first thing I ever knitted was made out of it and it totally spoiled me.

3 April 2007 at 9:54 am  
Blogger Ashley said...

The color is just gorgeous--and I really like the rib pattern.

3 April 2007 at 10:14 am  
Blogger Madge said...

Fingers crossed your experiments turns out well. Y'know, like, not something from the island of Dr. Moreau....hmm, am I projecting? Maybe a *little*; I've had my share of crazy cardboard cardigans!

3 April 2007 at 12:27 pm  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Are you purposefully knitting a red raglan to match your sweet new red roller skate socks?? It must be a very florid fall on the other side of the globe.

The raglan looks beautiful.

3 April 2007 at 12:29 pm  
Blogger Christy said...

I love Jo Sharp Silkroad. I made my Rogue sweater out of the aran weight, and I love wearing it. It is so soft. That red color make such an amazing sweater.

4 April 2007 at 1:19 pm  
Blogger mehitabel said...

Looking good--love the red, love the rib, and hopefully it will come out just as perfect as you imagine it. So what if you tinker with the pattern? That's what it's for!

4 April 2007 at 3:23 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

What a great rib pattern! It looks great in that yarn.

4 April 2007 at 10:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home