7.2.07

True vessel

is what I'm working on.
I'm learning to trust my first instincts with ideas and not labouring them.
I'm taking the falcate -that's my single semester of Horticulture coming back to me- form of a typical gum leaf and slightly symmetrising it (if that's not already a word I'm coining it) and manipulating it into a stylised 'canoe' shape (thanks to photocopies, sticky tape and my new friends at bateau.com).

It's actually a lot like pattern making.
Not even like.

I am an analogue thinker and worker, but you know..I'm OK with it.

Sorry about the tiny glimpse. I suppose it's confidential and hence I probably shouldn't be blogging about it at all! But unless you really want to see another 5 centimetres of black ribbing on Princess, there's not a whole lot left to blog about!

Right, I'm off to watch Shipping News..quite appropriate really. Happy vessel wednesday everyone

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather Moore said...

Yes! Deciding to trust my first instincts was a massive move forward for me, so I know what you mean about that. Self-trust is so much more relaxing than trying to second-guess yourself constantly. It also means you can move forward so much quicker!

It's very exciting to get a glimpse of your process. I studied theatre arts at university, so your career has more than a little appeal to me!

cheers

8 February 2007 at 4:01 am  
Blogger Madge said...

Happy vessel Wednesday to you, too, canoe builder!

8 February 2007 at 7:11 am  
Blogger Ashley said...

Ooh--I like the concept of using the leaf as the bark. It gestures gracefully at the organic relationship between tree and canoe without making impossible claims to "authenticity."

8 February 2007 at 8:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home