14.2.07

already?


So you know you're really behind the eight ball when your'e reminded that it's vessel wednesday by an update shooting down your Bloglines feed tube (courtesy of Alison, who incidentally has a fine array, check it out if you haven't already)

Today's offering is a citrus juicer by tonfisk brought all the way back from Finland by the everlovin' Goat a few years ago.

I love the way the cylindrical spout is expressed and the forms remind me of Ruth Duckworth's modernist ceramics. (I saw an exhibition of her porcelain work at the Chicago Cultural Centre a couple of years ago the same day as I visited Farnsworth House... and the forms seemed to resonate somehow).


But I have to say..as beautiful as this vessel is, it actually doesn't work that well. So much for "Form follows function"!





7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was beginning to think I was doing this all on my own.....

But dang that is one very beautiful vessel. I believe I may start obsessing about it (who cares whether it works, it looks good).

I actually look forward to Wednesdays and vessel days.

14 February 2007 at 10:00 pm  
Blogger missfee said...

Hi Carson- this is missfee - from all those years ago at that cultural sausage factory- I have just started a blog - no were as good looking as yours - love the knitting

16 February 2007 at 1:47 pm  
Blogger Flea-Bites said...

I love your photographs of the citrus squeezer - and the comment about function - my initial reaction was that it wouldn't be very efficient - and you confirmed it!

16 February 2007 at 1:47 pm  
Blogger Christy said...

That is a truly beautiful, sensual vessel...too bad about the functional aspects.

16 February 2007 at 5:23 pm  
Blogger bugheart said...

oh that's
beautiful...
but i have to say
it irks me
when vessels
are beautiful
but function
poorly...
like a teapot
that dribbles
everywhere!

17 February 2007 at 3:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful vessel. Don't despair. It can hold yarn. :)

20 February 2007 at 1:04 pm  
Blogger Di said...

So beautiful yet so sad- just like the Arne Jacobsen designed salad servers that I have- totally useless, but beautifully designed.
So tragic that he designed such wonderful buildings and furniture, but such disfunctional silverware...
And it's wednesday again- I've just posted my contribution this week.

21 February 2007 at 7:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home