19.1.07

FO: They Might Be Giants.




Pattern: Well, y'see...this is where it gets tricky.
As you know these started out as the Curiously Clever Clogs by Jennifer Hansen.
However as you also know, the pattern as written I found suprememly irritating and was consequently abandoned.
I think in all fairness the only elements of the original I've retained are the th
ree-colour idea, some of the gusset shaping and the i-cord edging.
Otherwise I would say it's actually my own.
Perhaps I should call them Second Season Slippers* (as heavily influenced by CCCs)?
But I'm not here to get bogged down in the vexed area of IP.
And so on with the details...

Yarn
: Classic DK Wool/ DK Wool Heathers by Jo Sharp in Mulberry, Rub
y and Chestnut. Held double to get tension.

Needles:
9mm bamboo straights (purchashed for $3 !!! from Scragfight- as Di calls it- which at first seemed pretty crappy: rough-surfaced and lightweight, but after working with them have re
ally smoothed out and actually aren't bad at all) plus 9mm Brittany birch dpns for the i-cord (tres pleasing to work with but hey they oughta be with the price tag).

Mods: Hooley dooley. This is the bit I've been dreading. Remembering and itemising the modifications.
The most obvious one being that I knitted 3 separate pieces; the upper, the linin
g and the sole. Then sewed them together.

Time: The entire 2nd season of West Wing* on dvd to knit and sew. One an
d a half hours (so much for the "make sure you check them every 5 mins" felting advice...I lost count of how many times I hauled out the steamy sodden pillowcase I had them secured in) in 55 deg C water to finally felt (man are they thick).

New skills: What can I say? It was an education.

Recipient: Goat

The verdict: Well...
I would say that if you're a really confident, advanced knitter you may have no problem at all with the attach-as-you-knit construction of the original pattern, and I can appreciate the advantages of doing them that way to cut down on the sewing time. However if you're a relative beginner like myself the technique is rather frustrating and not recommended.
I'm also not 100% happy with the finished blocked shape of the upper. Perhaps you need to use a shoe-tree -as Stitchdiva recommends- to really get that structured finish.
Would I do them again? Definately, but I would make even more mods to the upper: reducing it to 90% of its pre-felted size to begin with and losing about 8 rows at the beginning and end to eliminate the overlap under the lining which would mean less sewing.

But they are certainly comfy, warm and have a certain homespun charm.






top image: Arul Baskaran

6 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Well done--way to persevere. And after all that, to give them away? An act of true magnanimity.

20 January 2007 at 12:59 am  
Blogger Madge said...

What a triumph! And they're cute and wearable and look toasty for Goat's toes. Very snazzy looking with the red insole, too.

20 January 2007 at 9:53 am  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

hee, hee, your unfelted slippers photos make me laugh! They felted down well - great colours, too!

20 January 2007 at 10:58 am  
Blogger Christy said...

Love the photo montage, and the slippers look nice and comfy.

20 January 2007 at 12:16 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

I am always amazed by the end results of felting - wool has so many wonderful properties. Good on you for sticking it out to the end.

20 January 2007 at 10:13 pm  
Blogger Heather Moore said...

That photo sequence has made me chuckle every time I've thought of it.
And those clogs look fab! Well done to you!

20 January 2007 at 11:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home