31.1.07

Curious Facts

#1
It's vessel wednesday!
Yay! I hear you exclaim...
Well, I'm quite chuffed that I've managed to inspire
a
few
bloggers
I admire on the road to vessel documentation


Todays
Two circa 1950s handpainted glass sweet dishes (from a set of six) which belonged to Goat's nanna


We had a good friend over for dinner on Saturday night (a much needed pick-me-up) and when I came downstairs early on Sunday morning, some of the dishes that can't go in the dishwasher were sitting there very photogenically on the counter and so I had to document them, and also this one:

With a story attached: we were taking Scout to her new favourite "beach" we were walking the back streets, feeling fairly & squarely bummed out about our impending homelessness*, when this cute little girl, about eight, in a white sundress and big grin (seriously, she was right out of a 1970s baby shampoo commercial) gave Goat and me these sprigs of Lavender. Her dad was out on the porch only just getting around to taking down the xmas decorations, and we all shared a little 'Minties Moment'

Which leads me to
#2:
Even when you start to lose faith in human nature, something small happens that restores it.

This and * leads me to
#3:
We've had offers of accomodation from all & sundry which leads me to conclude that the generosity of the knitting blogosphere knows no bounds.

#4:
In the course of researching aboriginal bark canoe making for my next gig, I am trepidatious about designing something that culturally sensitive.

#5:
The human brain takes up 2% of the body's mass, but 20% of its energy, according to Bill Bryson.

#6:
A recent keyword analysis reveals that someone googled "Can I do without a pressure valve on my boiler?" and got my blog.






3 Comments:

Blogger Heather Moore said...

I've joined in on Wessel Vensday... er, you know what I mean.
Re: your comment about spooky coincidence and Tom Friedman: Paul and I discovered Tara Donovan just a few days ago, and yesterday, someone left him a message suggesting he look up her work. Man, o man.

Her work's marvellously vast, but his manages to team a wit and lightness with a sort of fractal-like complexity that turns in on itself, opening up extraordinary spaces. I particularly like the piece of A4 paper he stared at for 1000 hours. Yikes! Art's so cool!

31 January 2007 at 6:31 pm  
Blogger AmberCake said...

http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/freedes.htm

I love canoes and other quiet little boats. Found this page which might interest you and also had to make sure that you know about Debbie New's knitted coracle (traditional Irish boat). You'll find any number of sites on that.

10 February 2007 at 4:05 am  
Blogger jo :: feather and thread said...

what a great idea - maybe i will join in as well...

10 February 2007 at 5:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home