27.11.06

Leap

One. Small. Step....for knitters.


One. Giant. Leap... for me.

Using an existing garment to check size!


I was starting to get a little concerned about my negative ease calculations on Mortie. Especially after watching Sandy Powell's costume designs for Mrs Henderson Presents last night.



Incidentally- how cute is this sweater? And yes this qualifies as Cinematic Knits III.

The 40s silhouette is triangular, with big shoulders, a fair amount of looseness at the top, tapering down to pencil-thin snug at the bottom (relying of course on padding and steel-clad butt-clenching underthings). But I'm..you know... normal shaped and live (most of the time) in the 21st Century. So I thought to use my favourite sweater of all time, my trusty 8 year old black polo neck as my benchmark. It's basically a rib tube, but I figure if I keep checking all my relative lengths, taking the extra widthways stretch of Mortie's rib into consideration, I should be roughly on mark.

I hope.




5 Comments:

Blogger Rose Red said...

That is looking great!
I am also noticing knitted items on tv/movies so much more now...

27 November 2006 at 3:21 pm  
Blogger craftoholic said...

That sweater is very cute, I'll have to rent the movie and check out all the clothing. Good luck with Mortie, and remember, there is always blocking ;-)

28 November 2006 at 6:57 am  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

looks great carson! and i love love love the stripey zipped number on the actress above. is that your next act?

28 November 2006 at 8:06 am  
Blogger Ashley said...

That favorite sweater is a priceless measuring tool. I always fail to get it right on the mark, though, and then I wind up wondering why I knit the sweaters when the ones I buy are my favorites. Sigh.

28 November 2006 at 11:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

trying to find the pattern for the booties, I get craft beautiful every month, do you know if it was in the monthly mag or just on line? Sorry to trouble you but they look great
Suzie Sews

8 December 2006 at 7:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home