7.11.06

Free form

The UTS:Gallery space held an intriguing show yesterday. And as I was early for my class, I was lured inside. The theme digitally mediated environments.

Most of which leave me cold to be honest, but there was one guy's work that drew me in.
His name is Chris Bosse -a European trained, Sydney based architect- who works in biomorphic shapes generated by software.

But it was his analogue work that really intrigued me (just call me old fashioned). An off-white cast resin scale model of this piece (will try and snap a photo next week) was oddly reminiscent of free-form crochet.


And while his work is intended to evoke the forms of cellular structure and soap-bubble film (seemingly an ongoing obsession of his), looking at this one I'm reminded of two things:


1. 1970s "Lycra stretched over hoops" set design (you know the one...used a lot in dance and variety shows
- everything from Martha Graham to Countdown).


And



2. A moth's eye-view of the inside of a particularly free-form lace shawl.

All of which proves that I'm either:

a) An incurable iconoclast
b) A smart-arse
c) A free-associator
d) All of the above.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I definitely see what you mean, though I'm not sure I ever would have made the knit/crochet connection. I find myself painting more and more like this, so I will have to check him out.

7 November 2006 at 5:04 pm  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Can I suggest (e) Very clever at making associations between somewhat disparate things!
(you are so right re the lycra/hoops - love it!)

7 November 2006 at 9:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Carson-
Great link. The interiors are really the most compelling. The way the forms meet the ground bother me a bit though...
I love the analogy to the interior of a knit/crocheted garment. It's sort of like a microscopic view of germs or cells.

8 November 2006 at 1:57 am  
Blogger Carson said...

The associations thing is force of habit.
Part of set design training is constantly thinking in terms of visual metaphor and visual linkage.
So when I see a form a host of associations spring to mind.
Can't help it ;)
Martha such a good point- the ground connection doesn't seem 100% resolved does it?

8 November 2006 at 9:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi carson

thanks for your comments
agree with all of the above
;-)

how come we havent met yet in sydney?

regards

chris bosse

www.chrisbosse.de

24 December 2006 at 6:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home