7.9.06

Vintage: The Next Challenge

Let’s re-cap on work to date:

Several wonky rectangles. Check.
One and a half hats. Check.
Sundry funny sweaters for hotwater bottles and rodents. Check.

So now I think I 'm ready for this?



Well…



It's all about the neckline y'see.

I'm so keen on doing something for Vintage Knitalong, even more keen not to knit another hat for a while, and so intrigued by the (rather uninspiringly titled) v-neck blouse that I’m thinking why the hell not?

I’m also thinking that (after a glass of wine) I could easily convince myself that this makes me look just like noir actor Maria Casares as La Morte in Jean Cocteau’s Orphee.

But I fear that the reality would be something more like Auntie Bertha at the tuckshop*

Not to mention the crochet finishing: 1 s c in first st, ch 3, work 1 sl st in last s c made, 1 s c...
Exsqueeze me? Is that martian?

I know all you crocheters out there know what that means

Speaking of which, has anyone else successfully converted a crochet pattern to a knitting pattern? I've found this guide but if anyone knows of a better way let me know. There's another contender for the vintage kal, but a second check on it this morning revealed..yes you guessed it...it's in crochet!

Merde.

*school canteen

5 Comments:

Blogger Rose Red said...

I *love* the idea of vintage knitting but don't love so much that most vintage patterns stop well below my size (esp. bust) and that they tend usually to be in 4ply - nice for babies, not so good for (larger) ladies (just in terms of time!). Trust me, the crochet is easy - honest! I think this is a great pattern and I agree - the collar rocks!

7 September 2006 at 7:31 pm  
Blogger Carson said...

Yep it's all about the collar, I think I'm going to have to try it. I know what you mean about 4ply taking a looong time but I quite like the stitch definition you get from it. Famous last words?
I found Debbie Stoller's "Crochet n bitch" book..which looks like a really good crochet primer.

8 September 2006 at 3:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you found the KAL! This pattern is not as difficult as it looks -- there's a whole lot of ribbing on tiny needles, but beyond that it's not so hard. If you need any help converting this pattern or any other on the Kitchener Bitch website, just drop in at the KAL and I'll do my best to help!

8 September 2006 at 10:00 pm  
Blogger Carson said...

thanks kitchener bitch!
I'm sure i will need to avail myself of your kind offer.

9 September 2006 at 4:12 pm  
Blogger Margie said...

I find the crochet abbreviations very ugly. Particularly when I have to read them out loud to my mum.

Stick with the knitting. :)

14 September 2006 at 3:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home