31.8.06

(sum)Headway

Is the name I've given my first made up object for grown ups. Knit-wise I feel I am making headway, but check it out..holey moley only some headway.
Hence the post (post) modernist title. What I'm trying to do is replicate the mock cable of Furry Goodness into a beret. Not just any old beret either, but a perfectly shaped beret like the one I bought in Vancouver last year ( which is machine knitted in fine cotton and so presents a challenge copying the increasing proportions in worsted weight alpaca) ahem...so..the mock cable stitch is easy enough on straight needles but in the round?
Being too damn lazy to figure out a way to adapt it to circulars, I just do every 6th row backwards instead, giving me these lovely breeze holes. Serve me right for being so lazy.
So one last look before I rip that sucker...

Procastination-wise, I just can't decide whether these things are cute or kitsch. Like Bowie as Andy Warhol said in Basquiat "Gee, I just don't know what's any good any more".

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love that scene in Basquiat! I can't even tell you how often that comes to mind during critiques and discussions in grad school.

I should also say how much I've been enjoying your site - really splendid!

31 August 2006 at 4:02 pm  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I think they are cute and kitsch (maybe a bit more kitsch than cute). But I think you can do better, and have the "I designed it myself" pleasure! I'm thinking about giving the crochet tea set a go...once I finish one of the 100 other projects I've got dancing around my head.

1 September 2006 at 8:38 am  
Blogger Carson said...

vicki..oh I'm so glad someone else got that reference. one never knows when one's scatter-gun highly idiosyncratic referencing is going to resonate with someone else. hurrah!
thankyou & enjoy

rose red..yes you're quite right. they DO tip over onto the kitschey end of the scale. And yes, I'll have to add that to my ever-increasing mental list of projects as well.

1 September 2006 at 10:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home